Exhaust Mount Bolt For 147

Started by Kay_147_GTA, June 21, 2018, 02:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kay_147_GTA

So a couple of weeks after fixing my gear change bushing my 147 developed a bad rattle when cold, didn't have anything to jack the car up to have a proper look so ignored it for a bit. 2 weeks later I look under the car again and see the exhaust mount hanging from the exhaust. I eventually get the chance to get under the car and swapped one of the bolts from a less important position to the one holding the mount, however I'm still a bolt down.

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement bolt like that? My Google searches have been fruitless.
2005 147 GTA Monza (96 of 100)

Pseudonym

Just take it to a bolt / fasteners store and ask to match the dimensions, add a washer and you should be good. Engine or suspension bolts I go oem, something like that though isn't going to matter much. If rattling is a concern a bit of weak loctite would help.

Sent from my HTC 2PS5200 using Tapatalk

Citroënbender

Surely one of the Alfisti here can offer you a used bolt of that spec on the basis of "free unless we have to post it"?

13mm flanged head, M8×1,25 thread, what length? I know I have at least one of those spare, and there have to be people much closer than myself.

bonno

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Kay_147_GTA

Thanks guys, keeping it authentic would be great if possible!

If anyone does have one spare I'm happy to drive to pick up.

johnl

Going out of one's way to use an OE bolt in that part of the car is taking commitment to originality to an extreme...

I could understand it if it were an obscure and effectively invisible bolt on something like, say, a Bugatti...

Regards,
John.

Citroënbender

I'm like that where possible, it's my inner anorak - I like to option up my cars and use OEM parts to maintain them usually. 

johnl

Let's see, my Alfa has:

A very modified Honda Accord shifter (for short shift, greatly increased precision in the shift action).
Spherical rod ends on the shifter cables (shift action precision).
Modified shift levers at the gearbox (short shift).
A modified Holden Rodeo front ARB (in the rear).
Hybridised Camry / Corolla rear control arms (with stiffer bushes / spherical joints, and all four arms equal length).
Modified rear subframe (allowing change of rear suspension geometry, i.e. equal length control arms).
Modified steering column mounts (to bring the steering wheel closer to the driver).
Modified engine torque reaction stay (with a spherical rod end for reduced compliance, engine 'rocks' less).
Slotted suspension mounts for the upper control arms (for equalisation of camber).
Special 'caps' limiting droop compliance in the front damper upper rubber mounts (improved connectness between damper and chassis).
Bilstein B6 front dampers.
Front upper 'strut brace'.
Front lower subframe brace.
Deleted balance belt (improved reliability, and placebo level improvement in engine response, for very little increase in apparent vibration).
Larger flat faced pedal pads (more comfortable to use than the relatively small curved face stock pads, especially for heel / toe).
And quite recently, a couple of custom made ARB drop links that are infinitely adjustable for length (for eliminating ARB pre-load).

As is apparent, I'm more than comfortable with non originality, so long as whatever it might be is an improvement to or on the OE parts (whether the part is a modified stock component, 'home made', aftermarket, or adapted from another vehicle). Future mods may include better rear dampers (B6 or Koni, budget dictating...), maybe some moderately stiffer and slightly lower springs, maybe a rear suspension strut brace.

A big part of the fun is improving the car, and it's more fun to design, make, adapt any modified parts myself, than it is to just buy something and bolt it on...

Regards,
John.

Kay_147_GTA

Well as pretty much all 147 GTA's are now modified in some way I am quite keen to keep mine as visually original as possible. With only some minor non-visual modifications to improve her /stop her breaking (such as Quaiffe LSD).

Hopefully this will increase her value down the line!

Citroënbender

I have these in my Alfa bolts box.

Kay_147_GTA

A couple of those definitely look like the right ones! Someone else has offered up a bolt but if they don't have one I'll let you know!

bazzbazz

Quote from: Citroënbender on June 29, 2018, 12:13:22 PM
I have these in my Alfa bolts box.

I'd hate to see whats in your Citroen box.  :o

;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

The "old bolts" collection has silly things like M7 bolts, the newer one is much like the Alfa stash. Biggest difference between the two (to me) is Alfa still like Pozi head flanged screws for the trim/dash whereas Pug/Cit have been with T20 self-tappers for a while.