The 159 is too damn good!!!

Started by V AR 164, June 21, 2018, 12:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

When I was hunting for a new daily driver, I wanted something that I couldn't care too much about so that I would look forward to weekends when I would take the 164Q out and appreciate it even more. But I don't think that is how it has worked.

See, I bought the 159 with the expectation that it would be a comfortable and economical mid sized sedan with killer looks and decent fuel economy and nothing too 'special' about it.

Well, that mindset lasted for a whole 5 minutes...

When I would usually meet up with mates for a cruise, I would always reach for the keys of the 164, but the last week or so I have driven it out of the driveway once, so I could bring the 159 in for a wash....

It's just soooo nice to drive. I'm keen to get some 19' Ti wheels for it soon, then it will be perfect.

Not really too much of a point to this topic other than if you are considering a 159, just do it!

ps: The number plates came with the car, still not sure if I like them!!!

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Pseudonym

Haha, I'm in the same boat with the 156 actually, haven't touched the GTV or corona because I've been in the hills every spare day. Took the 33 to the shops this morning seeing as it hasn't been driven in two weeks, felt like I was driving a commodore [emoji23] The 159 TI steering was wonderful, if you can grab a set of the TI seats, they're amazing once set up and should plug straight into a standard 159

Sent from my HTC 2PS5200 using Tapatalk

V AR 164

I think newer cars these days just do everything too well to even consider an older car for a day to day commuter. Safe, reliable, economical, practical and parts are much easier to come across.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

bazzbazz

Just wait till one of the many computers throw a wobbly, see how much fun they are then . . .  . ::)

But seriously the 159 is a very solid, reliable, performing car, enjoy.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

ugame

I really love the look of them.

I had the idea of a 159 JTS as a replacement for my 147 in mind, but stories of timing chains stretching scared me off.

Is it myth or fact?

1750TBi would be nice :D

If i ripped off the Alfa badges and put Toyota ones on, maybe I could fool the wife?
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS
Present: 2002 GTV 2.0 TS | 147 TS | 74 Super Beetle | Porsche Cayman S 987.1
Future: I've stopped looking. Wife says "No more Alfas" lol.

Craig_m67

The Giulietta QV is better... (lighter, tighter, faster and less likely to end in disaster )
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

bazzbazz

Quote from: ugame on June 22, 2018, 12:06:17 PM
Is it myth or fact?

It does happen, but much less than you think.

Many times is is just a faulty Phase Variator Solenoid that is miss-diagnosed as a stretched chain.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

V AR 164

Well, we will see how the reliability is over the next few years... So far so good!

Anyone looking to sell a set of 159 19' Ti wheels? I'm starting to look around for a set. I probably couldn't afford to buy them right now, but maybe someone is looking to sell some in the next few weeks? I could even trade (plus cash your way) for my 17' wheels with good rubber. Just putting it out there.

Those wheels are so damn nice!!!

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Cool Jesus

Well, they are certainly my weekness. Went back to it after a short hiatus. That front end is divine, Then there's its arse, yum. As my old man said, they just look like there going fast when they're just parked. The demitasse designers really got that front end spot on with this series 900 vehicles.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

lombardi

Craig 67/69  agree on Giulietta QV being awesome , can not comment on 159 re never owned or driven one , very good looking 159 , find it more attractive than giulietta but too many question marks on reliability .  LOvely to see someone so excited about a new purchase , especially owning a 164 which to me is a lovely looking car .  Negatives with the Giulietta QV is when it rains the rear hatch seems to be a magnet for dirt including the side spoilers .  The looks are well , looks better from behind -no pun or sexual reference intended, just looks meaner n beefier n sportier from rear , really i bought it mainly for the 1750 turbo engine , she is very allowing n keeps revving 4 ever without fuss or delay n handles , dont wanna offend anyone but close to my previously owned GTV 6 Grand prix 86 , although the QV is front wheel drive .. Its funny but when i sat in my grand prix knew i was in an alfa , QV initially think its a Fiat until u start motor n drive , then definitely Alfa , not that i am disappointed about Fiat similarities , as long as its not an Asian feel ........
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

sprint speciale

......my 159 wagon has way  much better looks than the sedan.
The V6 Brera I bought last week looks even better 😜
1963 Giulia Sprint Speciale no. 796 Ruddspeed RHD
1964 Giulia Spider (restoration)
1968 1300 GT Junior
1969 1750 Spider Veloce (osso di seppia)
1974 Alfasud L
1978 Alfetta GTV
1984 Alfetta GTV 6
1999 GTV 6 (GTA Engine)
2001 Spider lusso
2006 V6 Q4 Brera (Supercharged)
2011 159 2.4 Sportswagon

bazzbazz

Quote from: lombardi on June 23, 2018, 02:25:27 PM
find it more attractive than giulietta but too many question marks on reliability .

Why is that? The 159 is a VERY solid and reliable platform with few vices. I can't for the life of me think of anything that goes wrong with them that doesn't fail on any other car.

The only commonly occurring faults I can think of are the power steering reservoir requiring upgrading with the fluid, and the front arm bushings wearing, but the latter is just a cause of fair wear and tear as with all cars.

(And before people start running up fault lists I am referring to cars in Australia, not ones in Europe with issues due to corrosion from salted roads)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

kaleuclint

My 159s have only had two issues -- both with the otherwise "bulletproof" 1750TBi.  The plastic cambelt cover disintegrates (an easy fix and not something that actually stops the car from functioning) and the plastic impeller in the water pump needs to be replaced with a metal one (preventive measure; never actually failed). 

Having owned a 2.2 I'm now thinking it would make a sensible choice for Junior's first car.  Safe, solid, reliable.  Not too fast.  Not as expensive to maintain as you might think.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Craig_m67

So ..... one issue then, given the plastic impellor* didn't actually fail :)

For what it's worth, I wasn't bagging the 159 series cars they look amazing. Although I'm not a fan of the dash, and the boot in the Wagon/Berra is compromised unlike the 156/GT.  That said it's a very solid car compared to the 156/Giulietta.  Just felt too heavy to be an Alfa for me, Alfa's are lighthe in my minds eye (but then I started my Alfa life in Suds and Sprints).

* mine did, in a GQV .... :)

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast