The 159 is too damn good!!!

Started by V AR 164, June 21, 2018, 12:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

I'm still unsure on the looks of the Giulietta. They are nice cars, but I feel as though it just blends in too much with the current crop of hot hatchbacks. Just doesn't have the 'wow' factor that the Brera gave me the first time I saw one of those. Still one of the best looking cars to date imo.

Quote from: sprint speciale on June 23, 2018, 04:02:55 PM
The V6 Brera I bought last week looks even better 😜

Definitely can agree with that! So when are you going to buy me one???  ;D ;D

Quote from: Craig_m67 on June 24, 2018, 01:46:46 PM
Although I'm not a fan of the dash

For me that was the selling point hahaha. Love the simple layout with minimal buttons and knobs, plus that silver face plate with the indented gauges  :-*

Quote from: kaleuclint on June 24, 2018, 11:10:33 AM
Having owned a 2.2 I'm now thinking it would make a sensible choice for Junior's first car.  Safe, solid, reliable.  Not too fast.  Not as expensive to maintain as you might think.

Coming from a fellow teenager, I can agree with that statement. 159's are relatively cheap nowadays and they offer so much car for the money. Even a sorted 156 would be a sweet first car. Always liked them too.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Colin Edwards

I know looks are subjective however there are three shapes on this planet that I never tire of admiring.  In no particular order:

1./  My resently traded black 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2./  The Supermarine Spitfire
3./  Scarlett Johansson

All three produce a virtually immediate physical response!!
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Citroënbender

You'd feel differently, I'm sure, if your Alfa was blown up by Scarlet Johanssen piloting a Spitfire.  :P

My car tastes are regressing, I'm starting to see the economy of refitting a semi-classic vs the drain (and nil appreciation) of an out-of-warranty-but-still-newish car. A Volvo 240 may be in my future...  :o

For all its yawn factor, my 605 (the Pug variant of the Alfa 164; uncannily similar) is a favourite place to be for longer hauls. Even around town it acquits reasonably, save for parking constraints.  So I fully expect Andrew to eventually return to his 164... welcome to the machine/Where have you been

poohbah

I've been of that way of thinking for sometime CB.

BTW - I really like the 605. Likewise the 504 (ideally in metallic brown).  And from your "family line" I'd love a CX - though I haven't seen one on the road in years.

Meanwhile, I can see the appeal of a 2-door Volvo 240, especially in rally/sport pack spec.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Citroënbender

There are plenty of rough CXs around, impediments are shortage of appropriately skilled trades to correctly restore and fettle, and custodial resistance to real world prices of good work and better parts. Like a lot of older cars (this takes in some Alfas, too!) a headache can be the convoluted order of operations for a seemingly simple task. People gun for shortcuts, the results are bodges and unhappy customers.

Heat soak is the biggest enjoyment killer. The only long term value is in a faithfully restored/conserved late 25 GTi Turbo. Andrew has probably never sat in one!

I just love the 240 Vollies though, can't drive one without smiling; in stock form a soft "boaty" ride, great visibility and a simple interior. A repowered one would sit well with me, too, if done properly and into a full-optioned shell. It's another car our young member needs to try out.

V AR 164

Heaps of cars I'd love to own, old and new. As much as I love my 164's, they are just too heavy on fuel and too much goes wrong with them too often for me to have considered putting one on full rego as a reliable daily driver.

I too like the 605's, very similar to the 164 indeed.

Don't worry, the 164q isn't going anywhere! I took it for a drive on Sunday evening and it put a massive smile on my face. That 3 litre with a 5 speed is absolute epic and when I parked it up, I couldn't stop starring at it. Pininfarina really out do themselves when it came to the 164's styling.

Speaking of Volvo's, I'd love a 850r sedan. Those things are heaps cool!

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Citroënbender

I had an 850 Brocksport wagon in white with black leather! It cost me $200 and two slabs, with rego;D Had electrical issues, I think the RHD config was poorly thought out and this meant some wiring wasn't in ideal locations for weather protection.

As my mate likes to remind me, I still own it, mainly because he never specifically paid me for it.

bazzbazz

Quote from: Colin Edwards on June 25, 2018, 01:36:27 PM
I know looks are subjective however there are three shapes on this planet that I never tire of admiring.  In no particular order:

1./  My resently traded black 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2./  The Supermarine Spitfire
3./  Scarlett Johansson

All three produce a virtually immediate physical response!!

And I don't care how special your exhaust note is, the sound of that oh god glorious Merlin engine shall go down in history as the most emotive sound ever created.

You may never have heard the sound of one in your life, but the second you do, your heart will race, a lump will appear in your throat, and a tear to your eye.

If not, you've been dead for 6 weeks.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

V AR 164

Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

bazzbazz

Quote from: V AR 164 on June 25, 2018, 07:26:22 PM
Speaking of Volvo's, I'd love a 850r sedan. Those things are heaps cool!

Yup, as WHEELS magazine once quoted -

"They'll look fantastic once they get them out of the packing crates . . . . "
     ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

bazzbazz

Quote from: V AR 164 on June 25, 2018, 07:37:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5rGyP6SSYM

I'll just leave this here...

Was I the only one who while watching that video quietly started uttering "TAKKA TAKKA TAKKA TAKKA" under their breath?

(If you have no idea what that means for gods sake go watch "The Battle of Britain" you Troglodyte!)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

I'm old enough to have walked around London and noted the signs for "bombed site car park".  Even in the early eighties, twenty-five years after the Blitz, they were there.  Stories told around the table of rationing, of my mother's revulsion (shared by so many) at the air raid sirens' sound, of miraculous escapes from certain death in Europe. 

I don't see the Spitfire so much as a revered soloist, but respect them for their seemingly endless appearance, the incredibly durable engineering (of which the Merlin was such a big part) and proven consistency in battle. 

bazzbazz

Quote from: Citroënbender on June 25, 2018, 08:03:46 PM
Even in the early eighties, twenty-five years after the Blitz, they were there. 

Been drinking again this evening have we?  ;)

;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

Erratum, 40 years.

Sober, no excuses for that!

Joe Garra

Quote from: V AR 164 on June 25, 2018, 07:26:22 PM
Heaps of cars I'd love to own, old and new. As much as I love my 164's, they are just too heavy on fuel and too much goes wrong with them too often for me to have considered putting one on full rego as a reliable

Andrew.

My 164Q has been my daily for the last 20 years
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon