New tyres, surprised...

Started by johnl, June 20, 2018, 03:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnl

It's rego time, and my front Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres were on the precipitous edge of legality. I've been very happy with the PS4s, but unfortunately any new tyres had to be significantly cheaper than the Michelins', so I started searching.

I settled on Achilles ATR Sport 2, mostly because I'd had some previously on another car and didn't actually hate them (not something I could say about all the tyres I've had). Not available, but Achilles 2233 were, so in extremis I paid $105 each for these (from Jax, "I think you'll be surprised" said the salesman, yeah right...).

I opted to downsize slightly from the stock 215/45/17 to 205/45/17, because this would slightly stretch the sidewall (causes the sidewall to behave as if it were a bit stiffer, for better steering response, in theory), and happily this size was still well within the maximum 15mm diameter change mandated by the powers that be.

I wasn't expecting much, but have been very pleasantly surprised (the salesman wasn't bullshitting, who'd expect that...). I was running 35psi in the PS4s, and at first this is what I put in these cheap tyres. This was OK, but adding another 5psi has made them much better. Steering response is very good, and grip seems quite acceptable, even on a wet road, usually the Achilles heel of cheap tyres (see what I did there, I'm just so damn witty...).  Having said this, I haven't yet put them to the test in an emergency situation, just some 'press on' driving.

So, I was expecting to be unimpressed, but so far the very opposite has been the case. They are excellent, especially for the price, and substantially better than some other significantly more expensive tyres that I've used over the years. It's a big call, but so far I'm liking them just a bit more than the highly respected PS4s. Whether I would like them as much in the stock 215/45/17 size I just don't know.

Just saying, as the kids say (when saying something unlikely to be believed...).

Regards,
John.

Citroënbender

The last time a pair of tyres surprised me, I changed them ASAP.  ;)

johnl

CB,
There's a significant difference between surprised and frightened...

Had some of those tyres too...

Regards,
John.

alphahall

Quote from: johnl on June 20, 2018, 03:55:39 PM
I settled on Achilles ATR Sport 2, mostly because I'd had some previously on another car and didn't actually hate them (not something I could say about all the tyres I've had). Not available, but Achilles 2233 were, so in extremis I paid $105 each for these (from Jax, "I think you'll be surprised" said the salesman, yeah right...).
Don't tell my wife.  I just put a set of four 215/40 18s on my 147 ... Michelin Pilot Sport 4s.  Ouch, $1100 all up.  But the good lady is very happy with the grip in the wet so far...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnl

Quote from: alphahall on June 20, 2018, 04:27:25 PM
Don't tell my wife.  I just put a set of four 215/40 18s on my 147 ... Michelin Pilot Sport 4s.  Ouch, $1100 all up.  But the good lady is very happy with the grip in the wet so far...

Ouch indeed. I'm glad I have the 17" inch rims then. Four PS4s can be had in 215/45/17 (from Jax) for $616 ($154 each if bought as a full set, $179 per if buying fewer). They sell your size at $1,016 for 4.

Even so, having now tried both, I'd prefer the Achilles 2233 tyres on the car now to the PS4s that were on it before. Jax has the 2233s for $99 per tyre (no deal for buying four), so that's $396 for a full set, a bargain I reckon (even though I paid $105, Jax apparently having dropped the price since my purchase). The 2233s don't seem to be available in 215/40/18.

The more I drive on the 2233s the more I like them. It's the steering response that I find is the best thing, I think better than the PS4s, though this might be to do with the particular 2233s that I bought being a bit narrower (205/45) and therefore the sidewall being a bit more 'stretched' and also a tad shorter than the old PS4s (215/45). I just really like the way the 2233s feel to drive with, though I doubt they would outperfom the PS4s on a track, or say in extreme braking.

This is even more impressive considering that the old PS4s were at the near slick stage (but still quite grippy), when steering response is at it's best (no tall tread blocks to squirm around and dull response), and the 2233s are new with full depth squirmy tread blocks. This doesn't seem to be at the expense of decent grip, the car is not understeering any more than it did with the PS4s.

Regards,
John

Kay_147_GTA

I've just recently put Bridgestone Potenza Adrenaline RE003's on my 147 GTA and been very happy. She previously had some very cheap "Imperial" brand tyres on which squealed with only mildly 'spirited' driving. Potenza's feel glued to the road now. They go for about $200 each but Bridgestone often have a buy 4 only pay for 3 offer on.
2005 147 GTA Monza (96 of 100)

Citroënbender

A more general note, it seems tyre sales might be - on the whole - a bit depressed at present.  Quite a lot of stuff being vended at amenable prices.

Citroënbender

It introduces a different problem - what to choose, what to choose!  :)

Citroënbender

Quote from: sportivaPlease don't go there!
Remember how there was always a kid who'd touch the electric fence after being warned not to do it?  ::)
Besides, just mentally put yourself in the peanut gallery while everyone at the front huffs and puffs, rather like these blokes trying to impress a young bird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTwy8ruyY40

Paul Gulliver

Seeing this thread has taken a pause , veered to the left and is now  exploring tap dancing enjoy this little more recent (1955) clip, one of my favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOoNOs8Ql28

Sorry now back on topic "Alfasud Ashtray Restoration" sorry tyre discussion .       ( simple : you get what you pay for with tyres)
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Citroënbender

Classic! IMO they had better sync than the first two but less physicality.

Also had a guffaw at a couple of lightning quick references (in the Hope/Cagney dancing) to the old school ballet queens.

A baffling reception awaits the person who innocently posts "There's a tapping noise coming from the front of my car"...

johnl

I suspect I'm going to be sorry that I started this thread. Being tyre related, I should have known better...

Regards,
John.

Citroënbender

Have you trawled the Bay of E lately for indicative tyre prices?  You'll see what Sportiva and I are talking about. 

My only complaint is not being able to buy set after set of the different possibilities and try them all.  Always happy to be open about the limitations as discovered by me, of any tyre I may choose to fit.

Citroënbender

Maybe that history of silly tyre prices is one reason people have reluctance to bin a pair, even if lightly used.  Now, my 80 litre Pug tank is well past $100 to fill, usually $120-$140 depending on the location and how empty.  That's more than a decent tyre!

I remember the A008 as being an aspirational tyre, I remember retreads on the Falcon, and I remember the used tyre bloke in the back of Milperra charging me $60 F/B for a nearly-finished Goodyear to replace the one a mate had driven flat.

Was eyeballing some Ecsta V720 tyres, $375/4 with a Fleabay voucher then my homework led me to a forum thread where this chap destroyed some on a track:
https://www.rx8club.com/rx-8-racing-25/kumho-ecsta-v720-review-261367/
Which kind of rattled my confidence!

bazzbazz

Quote from: sportiva on July 02, 2018, 09:56:10 PM

A retread explained

https://www.youi.com.au/youi-news/why-you-should-avoid-retreads

To my knowledge youi does not insure large commercial transport vehicles or aircraft, only passenger vehicles, could this have anything to do with their position?  ;)   ;D

(Only kidding, as far as I am concerned retreads for passenger vehicles should be illegal world wide)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au