Good buy?

Started by jbj4700, June 19, 2018, 08:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

Well you almost have the order right. ;)
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Craig_m67

Quote from: ugame on June 20, 2018, 04:35:29 PM
guys guys guys.....

Coupe > Sedan > Hatch > SUV > 4x4 > Any other shape > Wagon

You know I'm right.

Ha, of course you're right.. they're in order of increasing desirability and value (practicality, children, dogs, toys, tools, stuff). 
Life gets you in the end :)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

ugame

hmmmm

in my school we were taught that ">" means "greater than" ;)

x > y
x is greater than y
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS
Present: 2002 GTV 2.0 TS | 147 TS | 74 Super Beetle | Porsche Cayman S 987.1
Future: I've stopped looking. Wife says "No more Alfas" lol.

Citroënbender

Small cars are for city parking squeezes, roundabout terrorism and traffic light RT drags. Sports cars are for winery touring. Wagons are for FUN - family holidays, dirty weekends camping, renovating, IKEA raids, outings with multiple friends, and towing. Utes are for rubbish runs and buying new baths, couches or hot water systems. Sedans for people who are afraid to take a position.

So there.  :P

poohbah

None of the wagon activities you listed sound like much fun to me. I was with you on dirty weekend - til you added "camping".;D

In my old fashioned world - sedans (must be >4 cylinders) are for blokes.

Wagons are for blokes with kids.

Utes are for blokes in the country.

Coupes - well it depends on the coupe.

Hatches are for first cars ...

(NB my '81 GTV is both a hatch and a coupe, but yet somehow neither!)

1981 GTV

jbj4700

Quote from: ugame on June 20, 2018, 04:35:29 PM
guys guys guys.....

Coupe > Sedan > Hatch > SUV > 4x4 > Any other shape > Wagon

You know I'm right.

You are right for sure.
I had a 156 JTS Silly pre facelift, I prefer the front of Facelifts.
147's look a bit shopping mama for me.

Yes, the Lancer is a big regret, I want to get rid of it asap, bought for reliability sake after a horror 9 months with a Renault Migraine 225, but the Lancer is crap.

Citroënbender

Shame about the RSM, there's an ex-Bakers (Albury) chap called Kenny who is pretty good with them. 

I can see the angle of shopping trolley perception for the 147, mostly what I can see of the car from inside is what I like to dwell on.

It's worth noting that if you are thorough when doing a Sele clutch vs a manual clutch, there's about a $325 bias in favour of the manual, which isn't so much as one might imagine - plus once-annual recalibration thereafter.

poohbah

If you are prepared to visit Laurie and Noelene in Sylvania Waters, you can get this tidy manual Busso 156 for $5k.

www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sylvania-waters/cars-vans-utes/alfa-romeo-156-v6-manual/1186804000

1981 GTV

Citroënbender

Uncanny, I have a silver 147 originally from a chap in that area called Aaron Pilz.

ugame

Quote from: poohbah on June 20, 2018, 05:38:08 PM
None of the wagon activities you listed sound like much fun to me. I was with you on dirty weekend - til you added "camping".;D

Lol mate great minds and all that.

That is exactly where my mind went lol.

Agree 100% with your whole post actually but this part was gold.
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS
Present: 2002 GTV 2.0 TS | 147 TS | 74 Super Beetle | Porsche Cayman S 987.1
Future: I've stopped looking. Wife says "No more Alfas" lol.

bazzbazz

May I point out that when one owns a Porsche Cayman most other cars seem to become tedious quickly.   ;)

Its the natural order of life.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

jbj4700

Hmm, found out ACA did an investigation on that dealer in 2012, I reckon he modified the log books, told me belt was done in 2011 so I laughed and said no way, the add was then modified with picture of logbooks, 2013 changed to 2014 and timing belt scribbled in, anyone could have scribbled it on.

Citroënbender

Consider that in a sense you've landed on your feet here. 

Somebody like Bazz may well know of an interesting Alfa that represents better value than the blue car.

Most of this era Alfas have no structural difference from the four-pots to the V6s, if one was bored and had the space/time a full transplant doesn't require metalwork...

Bear in mind, that the "orange rot" stalks interiors at least to 2010 (headlinings, door cards, fabric upholstered seats) and Craig's comments about chocolate suspension apply equally to 147, GT, 156 models.  If I wasn't handy I'd not advocate owning one unless paying for rather involved service processes was a comfortable option (for example, it's an arse to get the roof lining out of 147 because the trim panels overlap in a stupid order).

poohbah

Cb, I've never had any issues with orange rot in either of my 156s. And my current car is going on 19yrs old. Wonder if there was a different trim put in 156 series compared to the rotters.
            1981 GTV

Citroënbender

Try rubbing your roof liner in a hidden place, and see if the impressions stay.  Or pop out a courtesy lens and check stickiness on the edge of the backing foam where the fabric is trimmed away. 

If you have a light touch with cars and store them in a cool environment, the decay is often slow to reveal.  Harsh treatments like steam cleaning the fabric on fifteen year old door cards, brings it up almost right away. 

It's a chemical decay, not the result of any external process like detailing or air fresheners.