Clutch Wear

Started by Citroënbender, June 09, 2018, 11:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

It's still going, to paraphrase "Jacko". Although, not really by much.  ::)

Was it The Painters and Dockers who sang something like "You're going home on the back of a tilt tray"?

poohbah

Ah, the dockers - one of my faves back in the day.

"You're goin home in the back of a Divi Van..."

Paul Stewart joined me for a beer one night - when I was sitting (somewhat pickled) underneath a table after a gig at the Old Melbourne Hotel here in Perth.

This was my personal favourite - can't beat punk + horns.

PS - apologies for taking this thread off track. CB, for what its worth, the thrust bearing on my Alfetta GTV has been softly whirring for over a year. I'm putting off replacement til its unavoidable too.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Citroënbender

If you wanna change my clutch, you'd better wear a rubber glove...

Measured the friction disc best I could in-situ by holding calipers above it and trying to eyeball an identical gap in the jaws, matching disc breadth.

3.5mm

Or, as Barence might say:   :o  :o  :o

Gettin' there...

bazzbazz

There is a more accurate way of doing it, grab a thick wooden cooking skewer or similar and put it through the inspection port against the edge thickness of the friction material. Trim it down till it matches the friction thickness and then measure. Thus you have a fairly accurate and repeatable method of measuring the wear.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

Citroënbender

OK, bit the bullet - new clutch kit, accumulator, fork bushes ordered up - will be a fortnight away as there's a special order part (timing belt cover forward side portion) in the mix as well.

Shop4Parts came in a little cheaper than Arese on this order.

Unrelatedly, the water pump I fitted in November 2017 has started weeping.  >:( I've run the belt on the lighter side of tension, too - not like I've loaded up the bearings. No temperature anomalies and no other coolant expulsion, so I think it's just a seal failure.

bazzbazz

Quote from: Citroënbender on February 20, 2019, 08:47:39 PM
Shop4Parts came in a little cheaper than Arese on this order.

Really?  ???

I'm quite surprised, Vlade's prices are usually so good on the parts you mentioned that I find it not worth bothering
to shop overseas unless it's something out of the ordinary. Even then he can usually get just about anything I am after quicker than international shipping, and STILL cheaper.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

It wasn't much different, about $25.