Seating position too high 147

Started by mediocregr, May 31, 2018, 11:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mediocregr

I've had my 147 jtdm post facelift for a little over a month now and I have noticed that my knees start to hurt even with smaller trips now as the seat seems to be too high.

I have the seat in the lowest possible position but it still feels too high, On the lowest position My head almost touches the roof, I'm not a tall guy either only 180cm.

Not sure if this could have been adjusted by the previous owner? Possible pedal adjustment or seat rails. Is there anyone out there with a similar issue?

Cheers.

Citroënbender

Are you sure the seat adjuster is working correctly? They are a frail design and frequently seem to break in ways that restrict adjustment.

The quick check here is to remove the plastic side trim, then take out the adjuster - see if it then allows further movement down.

bazzbazz

I have the same problem in most 147 cars, and I'm 185cm
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

mediocregr

Quote from: Citroënbender on May 31, 2018, 11:47:08 AM
Are you sure the seat adjuster is working correctly? They are a frail design and frequently seem to break in ways that restrict adjustment.

The quick check here is to remove the plastic side trim, then take out the adjuster - see if it then allows further movement down.

It seems to be working but I'll have another look and get back

ugame

doesn't sound normal at all. My 147 is nice and low with plenty of headroom.

I believe my adjuster is broken, stopping it from moving UP, which suits me just fine :D
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS
Present: 2002 GTV 2.0 TS | 147 TS | 74 Super Beetle | Porsche Cayman S 987.1
Future: I've stopped looking. Wife says "No more Alfas" lol.

Garibaldi

I'm 186cm and I had no trouble with the driving position in my 147. In saying that most of my height is in my legs.  :o

Citroënbender

Me too; I tell people I'm really a short bloke but with legs like a chorus girl.  :o

bazzbazz

Quote from: Citroënbender on May 31, 2018, 06:41:04 PM
Me too; I tell people I'm really a short bloke but with legs like a chorus girl.  :o

Kick and step . . . kick and step . . . kick and step . . .
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

That's extra funny because I have worked next door to one of those "Petites Merdes" kiddie talent schools. The incantation is all too familiar - along with "stage mums" brainlessly parking across the driveway every arvo.

johnl

I'm about average height. With the seat fully low I find the head room is massive, and can't see out of the car properly. I'd be suprised if even quite tall people couldn't get the seat low enough, if the adjustment mechanism is working properly.

I found my seat was too low at the front relative to the back, meaning that the seat base was too low under the front of my thighs relative to under my arse. To change this I inserted some shims under the front of the seat rails, i.e. stacks of washers through which the front rail bolts passed. This changed the seat base angle as you would expect. Much more comfortable...

I can't recall if the stock bolts were long enough once the rails had been shimmed up, or whether I had to fit longer ones.

Regards,
John.

Citroënbender

Quote from: mediocregr on May 31, 2018, 04:03:23 PM
How did you go - get a chance to look at the guts of your adjuster yet?

mediocregr

Quote from: Citroënbender on June 09, 2018, 11:06:15 PM
Quote from: mediocregr on May 31, 2018, 04:03:23 PM
How did you go - get a chance to look at the guts of your adjuster yet?

On uni break now so I'm going to disassemble the seat and take a look at the mechanism, see if I can get it any lower. It works fine and I get low enough. However, I get bad aches in my knees and legs on short trips. Might just be my long legs but well see soon. Thanks.

mediocregr

Quote from: sportiva on June 12, 2018, 03:43:36 PM
The distance between raised and lowered on a 156 seat is about 40 mm and 8 pulls on the lever.
A 147 seat should be similar if not the same maybe someone with a 147 can confirm this.
I have pulled the 156 seats out of a parts car to put into my GTV you won't easily modify the mechanism
to lower the seat.  Repositioning the front or back of the whole seat up or down with spacers or shims is really the only way you could reposition the seat to get a more comfortable driving position

8 clicks seems about right. That's a bugger, I might have to experiment with spacers until I find a more comfortable position, or just put up with it for the time being.

ugame

Quote from: mediocregr on June 13, 2018, 12:28:02 AM
Quote from: sportiva on June 12, 2018, 03:43:36 PM
The distance between raised and lowered on a 156 seat is about 40 mm and 8 pulls on the lever.
A 147 seat should be similar if not the same maybe someone with a 147 can confirm this.
I have pulled the 156 seats out of a parts car to put into my GTV you won't easily modify the mechanism
to lower the seat.  Repositioning the front or back of the whole seat up or down with spacers or shims is really the only way you could reposition the seat to get a more comfortable driving position

8 clicks seems about right. That's a bugger, I might have to experiment with spacers until I find a more comfortable position, or just put up with it for the time being.

Could be worse. I suspected my Porsche seats may be the cause of an intermittent shoulder pain.

Asked the dealer what my options are. The "Sports Plus" seats can be had which many people report are far more comfortable......

...for $10K........

.....each!

The Porsche is NOT the cause of my shoulder pain.  And that is what I will continue to tell myself :D
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS
Present: 2002 GTV 2.0 TS | 147 TS | 74 Super Beetle | Porsche Cayman S 987.1
Future: I've stopped looking. Wife says "No more Alfas" lol.

bazzbazz

" it's not the seats, ouch . . . . it's not the seats, ouch . . . . . it's REALLY not the seats, OUCH . . . . " ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast