Dash light LEDs not working?

Started by GTVeloce, May 20, 2018, 12:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

I have tried to replace the standard T5 wedge dash lights with LED versions. These are a drop in replacement with three leds in each unit. However, when I install even one of these they short-circuit. I know LEDs are polar sensitive but swapping them over makes no difference and this isn't just that nothing happens, the whole lights dash lights cease to work.

When I installed an LED in the high beam indicator light it just tripped the fuse.

To make things even more strange, I was able to install the LEDs into the speedometer without an issue (once I had the polarity right). The speedo is connected to the rest of the dash lights (all operate with the dimmer - including the LEDs). The only difference is that the bulb holders in the speedo are the older style push in (with a rectangular back piece) and the rest are a push and turn style (with a square back piece). However, I can't for the life of me see why one works and the other short circuits.

Does anyone have any experience with this or clues? I have taken a picture of the dash with the LEDs in the speedo and standard bulbs in the rest - you can really see the difference. At night time you can quickly read the gauge whereas with the standard bulbs you need to study it for a second or two.

Thanks in advance

bonno

GTVeloce
From what you describe, I suspect that the bulb holder that requires twisting, could be short circuiting the PCB tracks (replace bulb holders with push in type, if possible). My other suggestion is only replace lights that illuminate the instrument panel/s and leave the inidicator lights standard.

GTVeloce

I am only hoping to use the LED for illumination. The indicator lights are fine with standard bulbs. I will try to see if changing to the push type fittings makes any difference but I just don't understand why it hasn't worked in the first place.

Oh well, back to experimenting.

festy

I recently fitted LEDs to most of the dash lights, because a few of the bulbs were blown and I had the LEDs left over from something else.
The ones I used were nothing special, just single white LEDs. I did 'diffuse' them a lot with a grinder to spread the light out instead of just illuminating a small spot on the gauges.

diffused_led.jpg

If you're immediately blowing fuses, it does sound like a short. What do the 'legs' of your LEDs look like? Mine were just the LED/resistor's legs bent up the side of the plastic holder, I did have to do a bit of re-aligning to get a good contact on a couple of them.

You're right about the improvement, I wasn't sure if a properly illuminated dash would look out of place in a 116 but I'm pretty happy with it. 
LED1.jpg

GTVeloce

Problem solved. The LEDS I bought where poorly designed and the legs (pins) needed modification to work properly. Once modified they worked fine but I have since bought better quality ones in green so it looks slightly more original. These did not require any modification to get them to work and provide excellent light.

I don't have a picture of the green LEDS installed but here is the first type when all functioning.

ACE

That is looking nice!
Not just the illumination.
You have Euro style wiper blades, which must work much better than the originals, but what are the wiper arms from?

GTVeloce

Standard wiper arms. I have only swapped the blades which I am much happier with. Only issue is at high speeds (140+) they do catch the wind a little and ride up the windscreen an inch or so. I have also gone with substantially longer than standard blades so that the swept area actually corresponds to where I am looking (I swear the gorillas meant to drive these cars were meant to be 5 foot tall but with arms my length!)

bazzbazz

Quote from: GTVeloce on July 11, 2018, 08:07:19 PM
(I swear the gorillas meant to drive these cars were meant to be 5 foot tall but with arms my length!)

Not to mention the uncomfortable angle your feet are at!!

I usually use the phrase "Demented Gibbon" when trying to convey the driving positioning.  ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

kartone

GTVeloce, where did you buy the green LED and what is the part number? Many thanks and enjoy the weekend.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

bonno

Definitely a big improvement on the old style light bulb illumination and I am also considering adopting LEDs for the illumination of instrument cluster (only) on my  split dash Alfetta GTV. Have located T3 LED's on ebay (refer link below) which appear different to the ones pictured above used by GTVeloce and festy. For the minimal purchase cost it is definitely worth a try.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-X-Blue-T3-Neo-Wedge-SMD-LED-Twist-Lock-LCD-Dash-Cluster-Switch-Gauge-Control/190934909701

GTVeloce

Sorry, I have been offline for a while.

I bought the LEDS for the interior plus all the rear tail lights (except indicators) from this store;
https://www.ledshoponline.com.au/12-24-volt-car-led-light-bulbs-australia-automotive/LED-dashboard-bulbs/T5-green-286-wedge-LED

They are based in Nth Qld and I found them easy and reliable to deal with plus all their bulbs have worked flawlessly for me. They appear to be well made bulbs which I can't say for some others I have bought off eBay.

A note: if you put LEDS in your interior lights you won't be able to dim them. I much prefer being able to clearly see my gauges but just letting you know.