Cheap Dailys??

Started by V AR 164, May 16, 2018, 03:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugame

Quote from: Citroënbender on June 05, 2018, 11:27:56 PM
The problem with newer wagons is they lack the space of older ones like those you cite. Less headroom in the back, more sloped rear glass and a more "wraparound" aspect to the sides. 

A van will - like your wagons - cart music gear/adventure kit/camping stuff etc, most are engineered to be frugal on fuel, they lock up securely and when required you can almost kip comfortably in them.

Never been a fan of wagons, or SUV's until I decided on behalf of the world, that SUV's have a place. Their place is to replace the need for wagons, which aesthetically, is a good thing.
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS
Present: 2002 GTV 2.0 TS | 147 TS | 74 Super Beetle | Porsche Cayman S 987.1
Future: I've stopped looking. Wife says "No more Alfas" lol.

poohbah

My sister nearly bought a NX back in the 90s. The targa top was one of the features she liked. Luckily she instead opted for a 3 door civic instead. These days she's got one of those Citroen C4 coupes with the fixed centre boss steering wheel.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

V AR 164

Good discussion so far, was looking at a few VT Commodores, Camrys etc. In the end, I gave up and went with something I know best, an Alfa.

Yes I also wanted something 'cheap', but after test driving 'cheap' cars, I couldn't imagine myself driving it and enjoying it everyday. I paid a bit more but in the end, got a much nicer car that will last me for many more years to come.

Bought a 159 2.4 JTD Manual. So far I have owned it for 3 days and love it!!! Very different to my older 164's, as it has technology everywhere. The ride comfort is sublime and the looks of it, my God! I don't think there has been a better looking sedan than the 159 for ages.

Yes it is a diesel, but has more than enough power for a daily driver, and the economy is unbelievable.

Here are a few snaps of it after a clean today.

Cheers guys, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

poohbah

Nice Andrew. Enjoy.

But what will all of us old fogeys talk about now?
            1981 GTV

Citroënbender

Quote from: poohbah on June 06, 2018, 04:32:36 PMBut what will all of us old fogeys talk about now?
Er... Prostate issues?  :o
How modern music is rubbish and it's all been downhill since Paul's Boutique???
The days when speed enforcement was negligible?  ;D
Letterbox repairs?  8)
Over-indulged pets?  :D

ugame

Quote from: Citroënbender on June 06, 2018, 04:44:10 PM
Quote from: poohbah on June 06, 2018, 04:32:36 PMBut what will all of us old fogeys talk about now?
Er... Prostate issues?  :o
How modern music is rubbish and it's all been downhill since Paul's Boutique???
The days when speed enforcement was negligible?  ;D
Letterbox repairs?  8)
Over-indulged pets?  :D

Garage projects?
Home renovations?
Caravaning?
Porsches?  8)
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS

Citroënbender

Quote from: ugame on June 06, 2018, 05:29:57 PMGarage projects?
Home renovations?
Caravaning?
Porsches?  8)
Don't Whingepool, Mumsnet and ExploreOz cover much of that?
HAMB might be good for garage projects, too.  :)

bazzbazz

Andrew, may I suggest that if it hasn't already been done you arrange a EGR delete for you new toy. As it is intended as a daily drive this will help prevent it getting clogged up with soot.

Just a suggestion. 
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

V AR 164

Thanks guys,

I have heard a lot of people talking about the EGR delete. Could someone explain to me what it exactly does and what benefits it gives when you remove it?

Also, is it an expensive thing to do? Could I do it myself?

Just bought an OBD2 bluetooth device online, it plugs into the cars port and connects to your phone to read error codes and such. I feel as though having a car with all this new tech, it will be really handy to have to diagnose any problems that may arise. I'll see how it goes, and comment here later on if it's worth it.

Cheers guys, Andrew

ps: for something to talk about (for the 'old fogeys'), do you guys have any other hobbies other than Alfas?
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Citroënbender

The EGR is one of those inventions that works in an unreal world. Put simply, if you mostly make short trips in a diesel it will plug up and compromise your performance/economy. Hopefully you don't have a DPF as well!

poohbah

I thought all contemporary diesels had a DPF? (Though as I've never owned one, they are a mystery to me).

Andrew, you should check out the recent new member from the UK who has extreme modded his immaculate diesel GT to get some scary HP and torque.

As to your other question, when I'm not poking around the Alfas, I still play aussie rules (vets of course). And happy to report my AFL team is on top of the ladder. But that might be a dangerous topic for discussion - like politics and religion!
            1981 GTV

Paul Gulliver

ps: for something to talk about (for the 'old fogeys'), do you guys have any other hobbies other than Alfas?

Couta Boat Racing.
Fishing boats that were used commercially to catch Barracouta off the Victorian coast up until the advent of power. ( Pre WW2) Some of the fleet are boats that are 100 years old. some new ones too . No electric devices no winches all very simple technology. Kind of like racing a Masssey Ferguson Tractor. Active fleet racing on Port Philip Bay , Pittwater in NSW and on the Swan river in  WA .

The big difference from mucking around in the Alfa is NO RUST. Everything is wooden.

Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Citroënbender

Good to see there is at least one other enthusiast for proper footy, at amateur level, no less. :D
My migrant parents were strongly disapproving of contact ball sports so I never got to learn the necessary skills as a boy. But it's such a great game to watch at a country oval, far more so than the manufactured showmanship (and disgraceful culture) of top level AFL.

My favourite passive hobby is indulgent thinking or reading (or mutual discussion with similarly indulging minds). To lie in bed and deconstruct elements of literature, film or popular culture, to ponder leitmotifs, to review wordplay and literary structure - then when next online to compare with the published thoughts of others. It (the pondering side) is good for city traffic snarls too.

ugame

Outside of Alfa's, and Porsches, and the Beetle.....ok let's say "outside of cars".....

1) I refuse to grow up and still play computer/playstation games
2) As I was until recently, officially a "fat b*stard", I took up x-country mountain biking and LOVE it. Head out at least once a week on the hard technical trails of Kalamunda and have lost 30kgs to date.  Pretty much at my target weight now but no way I'm stopping the riding.

Craig_m67

Quote from: poohbah on June 06, 2018, 11:42:44 PM
I thought all contemporary diesels had a DPF? (Though as I've never owned one, they are a mystery to me).

Early 156/147/GT diesels did not have DPF, they did have EGR and if really unlucky swirl valves in the intake manifold to soot up, jam, break and generally go fubar and force the ECU into Limp mode

159 (Spider & Brera) dervs, both 1.9 and 2.4 have all the EGR, swirlvalves and DPFs to cause issues (like most every other contemporary diesel).. it's not legal to remove or disable any of this.

That said, people have been known to blank the EGR valve (needs a remap to ensure no ECU errors), undo the swirl valve actuator and put a straight through pipe in to replace the DPF.

Your mileage may vary with the local authorities.. Derv emissions (and missing bits) are now checked in the Uk, expect Aust. to follow suit
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)