What's a clock spring?

Started by As the day goes, May 12, 2018, 01:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As the day goes

On the side door of my 159 there is a sticker that is stamped (at the 10th year anniversary build date) for maintenance on the "clock spring". Anyone know what this about?

Also noted that the sticker saus airbags and pretensioner need work in 2023. This is going to be interesting if the dash needs to needs to be extracted.

bazzbazz

The clock spring is the electrical contact plate that is behind the steering wheel airbag.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

As the day goes

Thanks.

So whats the maintenance about then?

Citroƫnbender

I think it's just their way of saying to check all (testable) functions and replace if outside limits (ie, if contact pins are oxidised and went high resistance). It wouldn't mean they test the airbags or replace them...

Diamond Ric T

Quote from: Australia on May 12, 2018, 01:12:37 PM
On the side door of my 159 there is a sticker that is stamped (at the 10th year anniversary build date) for maintenance on the "clock spring". Anyone know what this about?

Also noted that the sticker saus airbags and pretensioner need work in 2023. This is going to be interesting if the dash needs to needs to be extracted.

The clock spring is a long flat cable that is wound in a circular pattern around the inner hub of the steering wheel. It is the cable that connects all the functions on the wheel to the car computer. Occasionally they let go and need to be replaced. Can be a very fiddly little job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ALFA 166 3.0 V6 2001
ALFA 156 2.0 TS Manual wagon 2001
ALFA 156 2.0 TS Manual sedan 2002
ALFA 147 2.0 TS Manual 5 door hatch 2003

"My thirst for learning is only transcended by the joy of sharing the knowledge"

As the day goes

Thanks all. I have been told if it aint broke dont fix it. Sounds good to me.

bazzbazz

This is what the "Clock Spring" on the 159 looks like -

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

As the day goes

Ta mate.  Was told it is unusual for Euro cars to 'recommend' replacing them if there is no need.  And rare for them in the 159 to break.