159 handling improvements

Started by Winno, May 07, 2018, 08:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winno

Hey guys.

I'm looking to improve the handling of my 159 2.4. In previous cars (Subaru Liberty and Peugeot 306GTi), rear strut braces and thicker sway bars made significant improvements to handling.

With a fair bit of extra weight in the 159 now after my latest sub-project (Bazzbazz has seen my boot contents), it tends to roll a little more than when unladen. I was contemplating a suite of under body braces and front and rear strut braces.
I am also considering a thicker front and rear sway bar set.

I've read however, the braces tend to make little difference due to the 159 chassis already being pretty stiff.
Is this true?
And what about stiffer anti-roll bars like the Eibach ones on eBay?

Thanks guys.

bazzbazz

The 159 tends to give less change in handling with the front Strut Tower Brace due to stronger towers, but also due to the way the engine mounts act in conjunction with the engine to act as a frame brace. I am comparing against say a 156 design here.

Just before you go changing the front ARB, some people have had issues with thicker/different bars rubbing on driveshafts. These have been 2.2 & 3.2 vehicles though, so I don't know if there is any issue doing it on the 2.4. Here is an link to one discussion example -

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-andamp-946-spider/364711-eibach-anti-roll-bar-rubbing.html
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Winno

Thanks Barry.
This corroborates what I'd read elsewhere.

I think I'll start with ARBs for sure.

Colin Edwards

Hi Winno,

Powerflex in Huntingdale (Victoria) stock a full range of urethane bushes for the 159.  The replacement bushes for the front upper control arms feature eccentrics allowing adjustment of camber and caster.  You need to measure the length of the front lower control arm bush.  Early 159's came with a shorter (and softer) bush. 

I replaced every bush possible with urethane - including front ARB "D" bush.  The resultant reduction in geometry change during cornering plus installation of Koni Sport (yellow) dampers transformed the car without needing to stiffen up anything like springs or ARB's.  Icing on the cake was having the camber, caster and toe set by a nearby Alfa Romeo expert (and club supporter / advertiser). 

Reducing geometry change and putting as much rubber as possible on the road is the secret to bring the best out of the 159.  The chassis is VERY rigid!

Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Darryl

What Colin said (re rigidity) - and I went from Subaru Liberty to 159 and am 100% sure seat of pants rigidity of 159 is way up there compared to Subi (and, liking to back my arse with some better calibrated instrumentation, did some research that shows the 159 is actually one of the more torsionally rigid chassis out there). Don't waste your time with any braces. 

kaleuclint

159 on its GM Premium platform is a seriously solid car.

Not sure it responds to performance enhancements or handling modifications though.  Just doesn't seem to be that kind of car.  Might explain the fairly limited market for product offering same. 

2011 159ti 1750TBi

bazzbazz

Quote from: Winno on May 07, 2018, 08:41:03 PM
With a fair bit of extra weight in the 159 now after my latest sub-project (Bazzbazz has seen my boot contents), it tends to roll a little more than when unladen.

Just for the uninitiated, picture a power amplifier sound system to the degree, that at night when sitting in the driveway, when you turn the stereo on it causes all the street lighting to dim!   :o

;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Colin Edwards

The 159 responds very well to suspension development - primarily due to its torsional rigidity.  Also need to remember the 159 features the equivalent of coil-overs in every corner. 
Virtually EVERY suspension bush on the 159 has a polyurethane replacement available - most right here in Australia! 
Any car can be made quick if it has a stable platform and the suspension keeps 100% of the rubber on the road.  In my experience, installing as many poly bushes as possible on the Q4 was time and money well spent. 
High 1:48's around the Island on road tyres and 100% standard engine was ok by me!  Been gone for less than two weeks and I miss it already!
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

bazzbazz

Hopefully the "D" setting on the QV is still enough to put a smile on your face.   ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Colin Edwards

No doubting the performance of the Giulietta.............pity it doesnt have the steering feel of the 159!  Some urethane bushes may help!?!
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

bazzbazz

Quote from: Colin Edwards on May 11, 2018, 08:00:14 AM
No doubting the performance of the Giulietta.............pity it doesnt have the steering feel of the 159!  Some urethane bushes may help!?!

Funny you should say that, Craig_m67 has the same opinion when comparing his Giulietta QV to his 156 Sportwagon (Gone to a better place). However I think the difference one feels may be due to the Giulietta having electric power assisted steering than the Hydro assist on the 159/156.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

kaleuclint

At 103w/kg I just don't see the 159 as a performance car.  Sure I can fit it with trick bits but the increased performance is pretty marginal compared to the C63 wagon out of the box (admittedly with Quaife LSD fitted afterwards).  I can't say I've put the C63 around a track because it's still big and heavy for that anyway -- and auto.  Both can do the 'luxury' thing on a night out too, as opposed to say a WRX which is not a nice place to spend time in even if fun to drive fast. 

One day I'll get the nolathane bushes but I suspect they'll never get tested.  A remap I've considered, but again it's a pretty small gain when faster things are in the garage anyway.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Winno

Quote from: bazzbazz on May 10, 2018, 08:25:12 PM
With a fair bit of extra weight in the 159 now after my latest sub-project (Bazzbazz has seen my boot contents), it tends to roll a little more than when unladen.

Just for the uninitiated, picture a power amplifier sound system to the degree, that at night when sitting in the driveway, when you turn the stereo on it causes all the street lighting to dim!   :o

;D

I need a new battery already!

Winno

Quote from: kaleuclint on May 11, 2018, 06:48:00 PM
A remap I've considered, but again it's a pretty small gain when faster things are in the garage anyway.

No. It's a significant gain. My car is transformed since BPS touched it.

bazzbazz

Quote from: Winno on May 25, 2018, 04:17:39 PM
Quote from: bazzbazz on May 10, 2018, 08:25:12 PM

;D

I need a new battery already!

You could probably pick up one of the old Swanbank Power Stations for a cheap price!  ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast