Roll Cage Installation

Started by jayarr, May 01, 2018, 09:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayarr

Hi all,

seeking some guidance on installation of a roll cage and the modification to trim which is allowed under Group S rules. There are a few pictures of Alfetta's with cages on the internet, and a least three differing treatments for how the bars are arranged at the A pillar. Not all of these are Group S cars as far as I know.

With the dashboard out, its evident that car #3 and #4 allows for the side air vents to remain functional, but this option reduces the effective door opening, and presumably makes it harder to get in and out of the car. Is anyone able to advise whether the historic register has issues with options #1 or #2 blocking vents? I presume not, as photo #2 looks like a regular Group S car.

1)

2)

3)

4) AGI bolt in cage

Dashboard out

Next question is whether the plastic trim housing the inertia reel and ashtray can be scalloped to allow the main hoop bar to be situated closer to the outside of the car. The picture below is from the AGI site, and I'm guessing that the bar would interfere with the plastic trim if it was present. Are there any issues with pruning the section outlined in red as shown? Can the trim be removed in its entirety for Group S?

AGI Main hoop foot

Plastic trim installed

Many thanks.
Mito QV, Fiat 850 Sport, Alfetta GTV 2L
Past life: 33 1.5L, Fiat X1/9,75 V6 2.5L, GTV V6 3L 1998, 156 JTS 2L 2003

hmd

#2 is Neil Choi Group S car, so the answer is yes.

NigelC

Here's an internal shot of my Group S Alfetta

Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust

giulia_veloce

New Rules for roll cages in the latest CAMS Bulletin for all new log book applications

jayarr

Nigel, Robert and HMD - thanks for the info.
Mito QV, Fiat 850 Sport, Alfetta GTV 2L
Past life: 33 1.5L, Fiat X1/9,75 V6 2.5L, GTV V6 3L 1998, 156 JTS 2L 2003