Guide to the 147 GTA

Started by ovo147, April 29, 2018, 06:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ovo147

Hi Everyone!
So I've been recently considering purchasing a 147 GTA as my next car.
I'd really like to get an idea of what I'm actually getting myself into.
So I'd appreciate it if I can an idea of what I should expect from living with a 147 GTA,
eg: servicing, fuel consumption, common issues, things to look out for when buying a 147 GTA and alfa workshops (in the SE Melbourne area).

Regards.

Colin Edwards

Drop into the May club night on Wednesday the 9th and catch up with Bruce Cochrane and / or Peter Winter.  Both have a very deep and meaningful relationship with their respective GTA's!

There is also a workshop visit Friday the 11th where the 24 valve V6 will be discussed - see club website for info.
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Kay_147_GTA

Hi Ovo

I bought a 147 GTA Monza about 6 months ago so I'll throw in my 2 cents' worth:

Servicing: Expensive! Whacking such a large engine in such a small car means very little room to do any work (to change the sidelight you need to remove the front bumper and lights) however there are LOADS of how-to guides on the internet of people doing it themselves which will reduce costs. I found The Alfa Men over in Brooklyn to be quite reasonable.

Fuel consumption: Not great, especially driving around the city, although they are pretty reasonable on freeways.

Common issues: Make sure cam/timing belt has been changed, originally they came with plastic water impellers, these are now changed to metal ones (usually changed with cambelt). If you can, try to get one with Q2/Quaiffe diff already installed, original diffs have a habit of going bang without warning (costs about $2k to buy and install). Clutches can feel heavy as they get older, bonus if it's been replaced recently as that's a $1600 job. Electrics, well they're Alfa's so they weren't great to start with but most things can be fixed by an internet how-to guide or a trip to a scrappers.

I bought mine with quite a few little niggles, all of which I have been able to fix myself via how-to guides
- Climate control turned itself on at random (took unit out and reglued some springs)
- Both sidelights went (took bumper off and lights)
- Rear seats wouldn't latch into place correctly (took a knife to the rubber surround they clip into and shaved a bit off)
- Floppy gear lever, lots of play side to side (bought a new gear bushing from eBay and spent 4 hours with car on a lift, gear change is now beautifully solid and direct again!)

This article is much better than mine and should provide lots of information

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gta/89970-156-147-gta-buyers-guide.html   

My GTA is my first Alfa and despite all the niggles and poor fuel economy I absolutely love her, she puts a smile on my face every single time I start up the engine and hear that mighty v6 growl!
2005 147 GTA Monza (96 of 100)