2.0 JTS CAMWEAR

Started by sportiva, April 28, 2018, 08:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportiva

I

Citroënbender

$3100/6 months or $17/day, or $119/week luxury European car rental.

Was it a Sele?

Citroënbender

What's the bet the gearbox wasn't being operated properly or the actuator assembly faulty, leading to enthrashment of the motor? 

My '02 147 had a seized engine from trialling Oilfree­­™ technology; that was the scenario - the short term owner didn't understand you had to actively put it into City mode...

johnl

When I was looking at 147s with a view to purchase, the nicest one I saw had no oil on the dipstick. I didn't even start the engine, just walked away.

It is quite possible to build engines that don't significantly consume oil, the Accord I used to own used less than half a litre of 10W40 between oil changes (and the small oil leak it had could have easily accounted for that). I almost never had to top it up, just change the oil, and run it for 10,000 km to the next oil change (and this with an engine over 300,000km old). My leak free and significantly younger Alfa TS engine uses way more than that (yet smoke is never evident from the exhaust). The issue seems a bit erratic, I can run it for a few weeks and it uses very little oil, then it might use a litre (of 10W60) in a few days. What is wrong with FIAT that their engines are so notorious for excessive oil consumption...

Regards,
John.

bonno

She paid $3,500  for a logbook serviced car and six months later sold the car to me for $400 because the mechanic told her it wasn't economical to fix it.
[/quote]
Good advice by the mechanic, as these engines don't only just need to be regularly serviced, but need to be checked and or topped up with correct grade oil every 500kms or 2 weeks. The poor lady probably had no idea of this requirement and as a result out of pocket a considerable amount of money and more than likely put off by the marque on possible potential buy in the future.