Looking for a 159

Started by JCVA9189, April 16, 2018, 10:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCVA9189

Hi all.
Just joining here as I'm in the hunt for a 159 JTS manual. I'v never owned a Alfa but got a small collection of old peugeots and Ducatis. So I'm looking for some advice on this modal. My partner won't drive my old pugs so we after something a little more modern and we both have always had a thing for Alfa's. (And new pugs are pretty horrible)

My questions are.
What type of km can you roughly expect out of the 2.2l manual? Seen a few for sale with a little over 200k.
How much dose it cost to do a timing chain? From my research it sounds like they need doing every 100k or so.
Any other major issues to look for, my budget has me looking at cars with about 100-150k
Anyone here looking to part with something that fits my criteria? I would prefer to find one from a enthusiast who has looked after it properly.

Thanks Josh

kaleuclint

Well, I was accosted in the street last night.  Turns out that the fine fellow eager to draw my attention was a frequent admirer of my 159ti -- though he thought it was a Giulia...

TBH I wouldn't buy anything with 200,000km on it.  Then again I won't buy anything with 20,000km!

If it's cheap enough to buy AND carry out an almost obligatory timing chain change then might not be a bad thing.  These are solid cars.  A bit like what Peugeots used to be like.  Why not call your local indy and see what they have to say?  They might be able to point you towards a nice one too.  Matt at Alfa Men is generous with his knowledge.

I can't recall how many km my old 2.2 had on it but I suspect it wasn't more than 60,000.  But it never needed any work.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

JCVA9189

Quote from: kaleuclint on April 17, 2018, 08:19:36 PM
Well, I was accosted in the street last night.  Turns out that the fine fellow eager to draw my attention was a frequent admirer of my 159ti -- though he thought it was a Giulia...

TBH I wouldn't buy anything with 200,000km on it.  Then again I won't buy anything with 20,000km!

If it's cheap enough to buy AND carry out an almost obligatory timing chain change then might not be a bad thing.  These are solid cars.  A bit like what Peugeots used to be like.  Why not call your local indy and see what they have to say?  They might be able to point you towards a nice one too.  Matt at Alfa Men is generous with his knowledge.

I can't recall how many km my old 2.2 had on it but I suspect it wasn't more than 60,000.  But it never needed any work.

Thanks heaps, yeah they seem to be very nice solid cars. My budget Definetly won't get anything new or even with 20k but one day maybe.

Yeah Iv had a nice chat to Matt, he was very helpful and generous with his knowledge and time.

Thanks Josh