Italian Fallibility - yeah, right...

Started by Citroënbender, April 08, 2018, 10:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

My erstwhile work vehicle, AKA "Foster Ute" - an '01 AUII Falcon - has presently expired due to an electrical fault.  It won't crank because the ECU is not supplying the starter relay trigger coil with a ground, it has no spark, and no injector pulse.

The amount of time I've put in, working from first principles, has exceeded the time required to diagnose any no-go on an Alfa. Nor are the resources as good - can't find a reliable/affordable source of schematics that aren't on par with third generation photocopies.  Nor have Ford incorporated the sort of clever cross-checks that Bazz loves, like having the lighter on the same circuit as the AC clutch. (The only one vaguely along these lines is interlinking between the horn pad and cruise control.)

I'm particularly annoyed because (a.) I rather need it for work, and (b.) I wanted to mow the lawn today - where it's parked, stony dead!  Why can't Alfa build utes?

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

;D That would sell to the Falcodore crowd, maybe needs 4" of extra tray.

Cool Jesus

Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Citroënbender

OK Bazz, any hints for picking broken pins out of an ECU connector? My problem was two pins had corroded right off the ECU header... 

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

I'd fare better with rocking horse poo. Non-VVT manual AU2 XR6 tune is probably the second least common ECU from the AU series, the companion XR8 AU2 manual taking that crown. I think better to repair or replace the ECU header and maybe splice in new sockets to the connector. This because Ford thought it clever to place the ECU where condensation from a wet carpet could enter the ECU connector and sit. 

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

Yep! Just waiting for a mate's wife's SMG to light up the fault lamp any day now...  That should round out the mayhem nicely.

bazzbazz

SMG - Sub Machine Gun ? Well if the fault light goes off on one of them it would be mayhem!!   :o
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender