147 Cam Belt Change Tools

Started by vivi-, April 05, 2018, 12:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vivi-

Hello!

I've just (foolishly, but whatever) bought a 2004 147 2.0 Twinspark Sillyspeed, with about 114k on the clock.

I can't find when the Cam/Timing Belt was last changed, so it's a major priority. Am super comfortable doing the work myself, but am wondering if anyone would be kind enough to hire the tools (2 x Cam Lock Tools, TDC Gauge and DTI) that I need to do the job properly?

Seems silly to have to buy them from Alfaworkshop to only use once every 3 years.

Any help would be appreciated!

johnl

Bought my cam locks from Arese Spares for about $50ish (from memory). By the time you've messed around finding and "renting" someone elses tools, it's probably just easier to buy them. You may need to source some longer bolts because the Alfa bolts (cam bearing cap) are not long enough to use with the cam locks, or, counter drill the bolt holes in the cam locks so that the Alfa bolts can be used (this is what I did).

I set the piston at TDC using a thin rod inserted through the plug hole in No 1 cylinder, the rod resting on the piston crown (and visibly moves with the piston). The rod is watched very carefully as the crank is rotated back and forth near TDC, with care you can see when it stops moving on the up stroke and then starts moving on the down stroke. TDC is half way crank movement between these two points.

A tad more 'scientific', it's also possible to make a piston stop, i.e. a tool that screws into the plug hole and prevents the piston from quite reaching TDC (but to nearly reach TDC). The crank is then otated until the piston gently contacts the 'piston stop', and a mark is then made on the pulley (relative to some other fixed mark stationary on the engine). The crank is then rotated all the way in the opposite direction until the piston again contacts the stop, and another mark is made on the pulley. There will now be two marks fairly close to each other on the pulley, and TDC is half way between these marks.

When fitting the belt, to hold the crank at TDC I use a metal strap clamped to the pulley at one end (with 'vise-grips'), and to some part of the suspension at the other end. Using a strap is useful because it can be bent and twisted according to what is needed to securely clamp it to the pulley at one end and to 'whatever' at the other end.

Don't trust that the stock TDC marks on the pulley and belt cover are acually correct, they were about 4° off on my engine (which equates to about 5mm mark to mark displacement).

Regards,
John.

Citroënbender

I'd consider hiring out the kit (cam locks, TDC adaptor, DTI, balance belt tensioner tool) as mine isn't needed again before July, but would charge cash upfront equal to 100% replacement cost on the items and refund cash less agreed fee. 

If you feel that's a fair proposal, we can work it out.  My cam locks are counterbored to use the original cap bolts, like John's.