Alfetta GT not starting

Started by JoshV12345, April 02, 2018, 09:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshV12345

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone could point me in a direction to look..I have a 1976 Alfetta GT 1.8 that sometimes won't turn over. Happens more often when hot but can occasionally happen when cold. Ignition light comes on, turn key to start and nothing, no cranking. Car runs great when going. Would this be an ignition switch issue or more likely a solenoid/starter motor issue?

Cheers, Josh

aggie57

Hard to say from a distance.  If it's the starter a GT I had years ago had a Paris Rhone starter, easy to get rebuilt. 
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

bazzbazz

Check Battery Terminal connections are good and tight?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

Don't overlook your battery cables and terminals, especially if the latter are lead crimped type.

Lots of support for most rotating electrics if you do need a solenoid or brushes, try Woodauto for reference and cross-reference numbers, then surf the bay of Fleas.

Duk

As above, check battery terminals and earth points.
Tho if it struggles when hot it's a standard symptom of a basically old starter motor. Does it click at all when you turn the key to the cranking position?

A decent work around is the ol' starter relay for the solenoid. By having the relay close to the starter solenoid and by grabbing the power off of the main battery cable at the starter motor, you'll get less voltage drop than the standard wiring and ignition switch and the contacts of the relay do all the hard work rather than the contacts inside the ignition switch.
And a relay is cheap and easy to replace in 25-50 years  ;D compared to the ignition switch.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

JoshV12345

Quote from: Duk on April 03, 2018, 09:03:20 AM
As above, check battery terminals and earth points.
Tho if it struggles when hot it's a standard symptom of a basically old starter motor. Does it click at all when you turn the key to the cranking position?

A decent work around is the ol' starter relay for the solenoid. By having the relay close to the starter solenoid and by grabbing the power off of the main battery cable at the starter motor, you'll get less voltage drop than the standard wiring and ignition switch and the contacts of the relay do all the hard work rather than the contacts inside the ignition switch.
And a relay is cheap and easy to replace in 25-50 years  ;D compared to the ignition switch.

Yep checked all connections, I've replaced most of the cables, only thing I haven't checked is the earth strap under the car. The starter doesn't make any noise at all but the ignition light dims if the key is held in the start position. Is there a wiring diagram of how to add a relay? I've been thinking about doing that anyway. I might take the starter out and get it looked at.

bazzbazz

Starter motor could be fused or the solenoid is U/S. Easy enough to test when removed.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Craig_m67

Quote from: JoshV12345 on April 03, 2018, 02:32:15 PM

The starter doesn't make any noise at all but the ignition light dims if the key is held in the start position.

Obvious (sorry).... Have you confirmed that the battery hasn't gone flat ? ;)
Other quick check - give the solenoid (small cylinder) on the starter motor (big cylinder) a sharp tap with a hammer, tire iron, etc - see it that brings it to life (sometimes it sticks)

There's nothing special about the starter motor.
Any competent auto electrician could rebuild it, or just replace it, or upgrade it :)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Duk

Quote from: JoshV12345 on April 03, 2018, 02:32:15 PM
The starter doesn't make any noise at all but the ignition light dims if the key is held in the start position. Is there a wiring diagram of how to add a relay? I've been thinking about doing that anyway. I might take the starter out and get it looked at.

Yep, it sounds like the solenoid is getting old and tired.
Does the car start if you get a jumpstart from another, running car when it does this?
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

Citroënbender

Could even be a failing battery. Get it load tested.

aggie57

London to a brick it's the starter. Get it rebuilt anyway, easy and cheap insurance on an old car. To get it out pull the carbs (30 mins) first. That'll give you good access.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list