156 lower wishbone PU bushes

Started by Fergo86, April 07, 2018, 09:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fergo86

Hi, has anyone changed the lower wishbone bushes and can offer advice on how to remove the rear bushes?
I know most prefer to replace the whole arms and this may be one of the reasons why.
Seems to have a pressed metal casing.
Rear bushes are soft, lots of play compared to other two which have hardened/sagged. planning to drill out then file or maybe melt the other bushings but with these rear ones I dont see how it would work.. unless I can bash them off the center pin with wood and mallet then separate the halves. I have left penetrating oil on it to try again tomorrow. all else fails I will take them to pedders but would like to do it myself

any advice, or guides I have missed? been trawling forums for an hour
thanks to anyone who can help

bazzbazz

Take em to Pedders & get them to press them off.

Basically you slide a slotted plate under the inside of the bush assembly place into press and push the arm out. You then take them apart, sometimes you have to burn them out.

The reason that most people replace the whole arm is that if the bushings are cactus, the main ball joint usually isn't far behind. Also most people are unaware of the correct procedure for refitting the arms properly which causes the Strut mounting bush to tear prematurely.

Check here for more info - http://powerflexaustralia.com.au/road-series/alfa-romeo/145-146-155/front-lower-wishbone-rear-bush/

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Fergo86

Okay thanks baz. I only did the lower arms outer bushes in the end, will take them to pedders for the front and rear. I did that and the engine stabiliser bar bushes and it wasnt fun, with drill and hacksaw.. but worked.

QuoteAlso most people are unaware of the correct procedure for refitting the arms properly which causes the Strut mounting bush to tear prematurely.
the strut top mount?

bazzbazz

No, the lower Arm.  Where the lower end of the shock fork attaches to the lower suspension arm.

Before tightening the attaching bolt to correct torque the lower arm must be jacked up to the position of the arm would be with vehicle at rest, or the bushing will tear prematurely.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au