1977 116 hoist points

Started by tonyd, March 26, 2018, 01:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonyd

Hi All, long time lurker, 2nd time question asker. Love the site, friendly and informative. I have a two post hoist (years of pressies bundled together) and am a bit concerned about where to put the hoist pads underneath. Lots of reading and searches, some suggestions of putting the hoist arms/pads under the jacking points. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of structure above these points and they are closer together than where I put the pads under another of my cars. I would very much appreciate comment from those with experience.
Thank you in advance. Tony

Alfetta77

Hi Tony, I haven't used a hoist but the Haynes manual I have recommends using the jacking points, I have used a trolley jack under them with no problems. Only caveat I suppose would be if you have significant rust in the sills, then the supporting structure may not be up to the task. Hope that helps.
Current:  Alfetta GTV 1977 Silver
Previous: Alfetta GTV 1980 Red

tonyd

Hi Alfetta77, thank you very much for your reply. I'll try the jacking points today. The sills seem to be in good condition. While looking around for some service parts this morning I saw an ad for three GTV's in QLD on Gumtree. One of the photos has hoist arms under a GTV. I emailed the seller with the same question and he kindly replied that he had the hoist arms under the jacking points.

Regards, Tony

kartone

I made aluminium blocks to insert into the jacking slots so as to avoid their deformation while raising the car with pads under the jacking slots!
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

aggie57

Yes, of course use the jacking points.  That's what they're there for :)
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list