2007 159 3.2 Q4 Oil Filter Location

Started by Juicymango, March 17, 2018, 06:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juicymango

Hi there!

Apologies if this has been asked before however I've searched diligently throughout the forum & couldn't locate the answer it.

Simple question ( for me ) but where exactly is the location of the oil filter on a 159 3.2 V6 Q4 model,  seems to be conflicting answers online regarding it and a visual inspection of the engine looking for the cap which would contain it doesn't reveal anything either.   

I'd used to doing these sort of tasks myself so would rather not take it to be done by someone else so if anyone could enlighten me as to where this oil filter is hiding either with pictures/video/links I'd be most appreciative. 

TIA.     8)
2002 147 2.0 T Spark
2007 159 3.2 V6 Q4
2013 Giulietta QV

Colin Edwards

Hi Juicymango.
Welcome aboard!

The oil filter on the 3.2 JTS utilises a replacement fibre insert.  Unless you have a hoist, best way to access the filter is remove the engine undertray.  Lots (around 12!) of different types of fixings holding this in place.  No way this filter can be accessed from above.   
The oil filter element itself is housed in a vertical aluminium case around the RHS rear of the engine bay.  Its around 70mm in dia and about 125mm long.  A hex or square drive (can't remember) is cast into the lower end of the case. 
I usually install a Hengst brand element - part # E622H D145.  These are made in Germany and come with a replacement "O" ring seal.  With a bit of luck you can usually unscrew and remove the aluminium case without spilling a drop of oil!
Takes longer to remove and re-install the undertray than to replace the filter element!

Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

AlfaArt

Quote from: Colin Edwards on March 17, 2018, 11:03:01 AM
Hi Juicymango.
Welcome aboard!

The oil filter on the 3.2 JTS utilises a replacement fibre insert.  Unless you have a hoist, best way to access the filter is remove the engine undertray.  Lots (around 12!) of different types of fixings holding this in place.  No way this filter can be accessed from above.   
The oil filter element itself is housed in a vertical aluminium case around the RHS rear of the engine bay.  Its around 70mm in dia and about 125mm long.  A hex or square drive (can't remember) is cast into the lower end of the case. 
I usually install a Hengst brand element - part # E622H D145.  These are made in Germany and come with a replacement "O" ring seal.  With a bit of luck you can usually unscrew and remove the aluminium case without spilling a drop of oil!
Takes longer to remove and re-install the undertray than to replace the filter element!
Thanks! I'm just about to do mine for the first time too! Got 6 pack of Wesfil filters for good price off Fleabay and 20 litre drum of oil from Reply as 30% sale. So will change at 5k intervals.

Sent from my D6683 using Tapatalk

Juicymango

Quote from: Colin Edwards on March 17, 2018, 11:03:01 AM
Hi Juicymango.
Welcome aboard!

Excellent. Thank you very much for that.   8)

Yeah I've had form with removing the undercarriage cover previously on my old 147, great fun.   :D

Also thanks for the tip on the Hengst filter, I'll definitely check that out as well as the carbon air filter that is displayed with it on the Hengst website.   
2002 147 2.0 T Spark
2007 159 3.2 V6 Q4
2013 Giulietta QV

Juicymango

As a footnote to this the undercarriage cover didn't cover the hexagonal ( just ) so I was able to get it off without removing the cover & following advice sloooooooowly eased it out without spilling a drop.  All good.   

Next stop, brake pads. 

2002 147 2.0 T Spark
2007 159 3.2 V6 Q4
2013 Giulietta QV