Aussie Monty Alert

Started by poohbah, March 16, 2018, 08:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

I know there are some Monty hunters out there.

This has just popped up for sale in Brisbane, if you have a spare $140k. Genuine factory RHD.

www.facebook.com/hashtag/alfaromeomontreal?source=feed_text
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

aggie57

Looks like a UK delivered car that's been in Australia for a long time. You'd still want to be very very careful though, those British cars were very prone to serious body corrosion.  Frank Porter bought a few into Oz in the early 80's and I recall him being really disappointed, some of them were really bad.

I'm sure most got repaired one way or another but given the low value of them at the time you'd want to make sure any repairs were done well.

Just saying. For that sort of $ I'd really want an Oz delivered RHD car.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

poohbah

You know more about these than I do Aggie. The day I park a Montreal in my drive will be the day after I finish building the servants' wing next to the 10 car garage at my country estate... ;D
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

aggie57

True be told there's others on this forum who know them much better than me.  But I'm with you, a good MontrĂ©al is a car I'd be very happy to have in the garage.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM

ItalCarGuy

Well if it makes anyone feel better that seller has owned more Montreals than anyone else in the world I would think so he knows them VERY well. If you own a Montreal in Australia, chances are he has owned it at some stage!  ;D 

aggie57

All I'll add is that it's good to see owners who have lavished years of sweat, love and dollars on these cars finally having a chance to get some sort of return.  Montreal's have been undervalued for many years.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 

massiveluvbuddy67

Quote from: aggie57 on March 19, 2018, 01:29:56 AM
All I'll add is that it's good to see owners who have lavished years of sweat, love and dollars on these cars finally having a chance to get some sort of return.  Montreal's have been undervalued for many years.

They aren't that great IMHO...
Gary's car is the only one (and a white one in Sydney) I would buy If I could afford it...
Hands-up if you REALLY know anything about SPICA V8 injection system?
Most have been played with. Defer to Gary at all times is my simple advice.
Yep, know the owner of the red car being sold via Mark Jansen. I hope it goes well...

Cool Jesus

$140K, damn I had a chance of grabbing one when they were floating in the $50K range a few years ago. Bloody hell! What's happening with the Alfa classic pricing? Good news for us that have a classic, but is there a resurgence on them?
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

aggie57

Quote from: Cool Jesus on March 27, 2018, 07:21:11 AM
$140K, damn I had a chance of grabbing one when they were floating in the $50K range a few years ago. Bloody hell! What's happening with the Alfa classic pricing? Good news for us that have a classic, but is there a resurgence on them?

There are always a few for sale, asking price at the moment for good LHD cars with solid history seems to be in the mid-70's USD.  Which I guess means you could get one for mid-high 60's.  Frankly I wouldn't care less if it's RHD or LHD, if anything a LHD car is going to be easier to move on when / if you wanted to.   Others would be able to comment better about the cost of importing and registering in Oz.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 

ItalCarGuy

RHD Montreals are definitely a small pool. My project is a left hooker but I am ok with that even if I need to export to sell (when I am 90...) The main thing for me is that its orange! My fav colour on them. As for the fuel delivery system, well the Sydney guy knows them well as he had spent time with Wes Ingram in the past. And as for not being all that good, well it does come down to the car you drive I am sure, and your own subjective opinions. I have driven one hard for a few hours and it was bliss! Got some pretty exciting top speeds and it sounded amazing. It may have had a sneaky EFI setup though... ;)  Alot of the complaints back in the day were that they were not great in their handling. Well I consider them more of a tourer than a balls out mountain climber like a hot 105 coupe or sedan. Some people swear the Alfaholics upgrades on them fix many of their issues while some prefer stock. Horses for courses.

massiveluvbuddy67

Quote from: aggie57 on March 27, 2018, 12:10:57 PM
Quote from: Cool Jesus on March 27, 2018, 07:21:11 AM

There are always a few for sale, asking price at the moment for good LHD cars with solid history seems to be in the mid-70's USD.  Which I guess means you could get one for mid-high 60's.  Frankly I wouldn't care less if it's RHD or LHD, if anything a LHD car is going to be easier to move on when / if you wanted to.   Others would be able to comment better about the cost of importing and registering in Oz.

Don't even bother trying to import a car until they sort out the asbestos testing issue at BorderForce/Customs...complete clusterf...

aggie57

Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 

Doug Gould

Quote from: massiveluvbuddy67 on March 26, 2018, 07:49:50 PM

Gary's car is the only one (and a white one in Sydney) I would buy If I could afford it...
Yep, know the owner of the red car being sold via Mark Jansen. I hope it goes well...

Massivebuddy you disappoint me - but at least they are more reliable than Lamborghini's ;)
Richard Anderson taught himself to rebuild the Spica by essentially reading the manuals and following the instructions. They are a mechanical device, so what could possibly go wrong? Seriously, I think most of the problems are caused by guys who think they know better and don't follow the instructions. And (for at least the mid term) there is still Wes Ingram in the US.

Doug
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

massiveluvbuddy67

Quote from: Doug Gould on April 09, 2018, 02:26:04 PM

Massivebuddy you disappoint me - but at least they are more reliable than Lamborghini's ;)
Richard Anderson taught himself to rebuild the Spica by essentially reading the manuals and following the instructions. They are a mechanical device, so what could possibly go wrong? Seriously, I think most of the problems are caused by guys who think they know better and don't follow the instructions. And (for at least the mid term) there is still Wes Ingram in the US.

Doug

Here there is wisdom...Completely agree with Doug...

massiveluvbuddy67

Quote from: massiveluvbuddy67 on April 13, 2018, 08:16:58 PM
Quote from: Doug Gould on April 09, 2018, 02:26:04 PM

Doug

Here there is wisdom...Completely agree with Doug...

Oh and yes, the Monty is a doddle compared to getting the Espada working properly... :-)