Oils aint oils?

Started by As the day goes, March 16, 2018, 07:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

As the day goes

In the March issue of Cross and Serpent, there is an article in which it is stated that if Alfa specifies only "Authorised" oil can be used, then the use of a recommended oil may lead to voiding the warranty.  Well for the life of me I cannot find this on any owners manual available on-line for either a new Giulia, Giulietta or 159 Owners, servicing or Warranty booklet. Anyone can show where it is so stated?

It is concerning if readers are led to believe only oils approved by Alfa MUST be used. This would appear to be in direct contravention of the findings of "New Car Retailing Industry A market study by the ACCC" realesed last year and the rights of consumers.  In a way it is like saying that manufacturers warranty will only be honoured when authorised Alfa repairers, ie dealers, are used. Hopefully we know that is not the case.

Citroënbender

As any Educated Man is aware, third party oil manufacturers are frequently no more than ill-educated hillbillies who have exchanged the brewing of stumphole whiskey for fractional distillation. Their "laboratories" and "technical advice"? No more than hysterical confections.

Use of an un-approved or wrong oil may cause your car to flip onto its roof spontaneously and burst into flames. Even when it is not being driven! Lesser results may include a plague of locusts or everyone suddenly becoming covered in boils.

The statement to which you refer is therefore a considerate announcement in the interest of Public Safety. I look forward to a subsequent article on how driving one kilometre faster than the legally posted speed limit is a worse crime than Stalin's Holodomor.

Colin Edwards

More to do with emissions than anything else. 
ALL manufacturers (and their lawyers) would be doing everything to ensure they meet or exceed prevailing emission regs.
Given all current engines eat a bit of their lubricant, Alfa Romeo dont want to take ANY chances with high volatility oils.
FCA wouldnt want to be in the same poo as VW and a couple of other european car makers!
BIG dramas with diesel at the minute - just ask Daimler Benz!
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Citroënbender

I understand the concern of a manufacturer wanting to reduce their risk of needing to address spurious claims.

There's a long way between "specifying" an oil, and "authorising" an oil. Perhaps a better word could have been chosen?

As presented, it's very typical of the Australian automotive (well, car importing  ::) ) industry; all stick and no carrot.  I'm confident the aftermarket oil suppliers like Nulon and Penrite also want to minimise their risk of a consumer claim, but in the ways they reach out to consumers with product information, tech support and even the super-affordable oil analysis service Bonno recently referenced, they appear to be working for a long-term relationship with consumers based on demonstrable trust.

Colin Edwards

I've read and re-read paragraph 15 of of the referenced article.  The manufacturer (Alfa Romeo in this case) "specify" "AUTHORISED" oils.  Its oil manufacturers that "recommend" one of their lubricants for use in a particular car. 

An oil manufacturer wouldn't sell much oil if they didn't "recommend" it at all.  They will recommend a particular oil because they believe one of their products more meets the needs of a particular car as "specified" by the manufacturer than another oil. 

As manufacturers offer ever increasing warranties and have to comply with more stringent emission regs, who could blame them for wanting to more control how their cars are maintained.

Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

As the day goes

Maybe the wording in the article was a bit lose, and what was meant by "authorised" oil  was the same as "oils that meet a specification". These can include Selenia that Alfa merely recommend to be used. But then many other oils, eg Penrite, can meet the specification and would be perfectly fine as substitute for Selenia and Alfa could not withhold a warranty claim on the car for the use of a non Selenia oil.

My research found that FCA Australia seem to be pushing recommending the use of Selenia oils in their owner booklets.  I have seen nothing so far of a similar push in the USA booklets.

Juicymango

Used Penrite synthetic on my 147 T Spark for 15 years changed religiously every 5k & never had an issue despite being told constantly that I should use Selenia.  I always check the ACEA specifications which all major oil manufacturers specify on the side anyway.  Comes down to personal preference.  8)
2002 147 2.0 T Spark
2007 159 3.2 V6 Q4
2013 Giulietta QV

Steve S

I haven't read the article however "authorized" in this case would mean approved.

Most OEM's (typically European and US) have an approval process for engine oils. Oil marketers can blend products and submit them for approval. The OEM will approve oils if they meet the requirements. Approved oils provide the end user with an alternative to OEM products that can be proven to meet all expectations like wear and sludge protection, service intervals and emissions expectation etc. Distributors/importers and dealerships cannot discourage the use of approved products however they do like to promote their own brands where possible.

Other OEM (typically Asian) will only require oils that "meet the specification" and do not require an approval.

Most oil marketers will have mixture of approved and non-approved oils. Some are a lot more up front with this information than others. Beware of "recommendations" in the industry as they are rife with products that would not meet the requirements (approvals and/or specifications) of the OEM, however for the most part they may work OK. Should OEM's support these or turn customers away? Informed buyers can make their own decisions unfortunately most end users are not informed or even making these decisions.

Doug Gould

The oil blends / specifications are proliferating faster than rabbits.

Its driven by emissions, fuel consumption, startability AND importantly new advanced engine features like advanced valve timing. For diesels, the correct oil is now important for the health of the DPF filter and I suspect the same may go for petrol engine Catayltic converters.

Oil does a bunch of things:
1. It provides hydrodynamic lubrication for main & big end bearings (possible the easiest task to fulfill)
2. It provides splash lubrication for pistons, little ends etc
3. It provides lubrication for engine accessories - including variable valve timing, etc
4. It provides boundary lubrication for the valve gear
5. It provides engine cooling generally and cooling of exhaust valves specifically.

Each of these has different demands and different metals and materials which have different compatabilities with different oil additives. And beyond this chemical traces from the oil can interfere with emissions controls / components.

The correct oil is specified by the following variables:
Mineral vs Synthetic (in part determines the multiviscosity characteristics and in part determines film strength)
Viscosity rating (the SAE rating, eg SAE 20W50)
Film strength rating (eg ACEA B3)
Additive pack, ie the detergents, friction modifiers, etc (eg SL)
and additional special additives which are usually identified by a manufacturers specification no. (read the fine print on the oil label)

I think you'll find that Alfa list a FIAT specification (additive pack). I may be out of date, but for the Petrol 159 / Brera this was only the Alfa Selenia oil or the Shell one with a little Ferrari logo on the bottom.

Any old oil will do, but if after some time using the wrong oil you start getting fault codes (especially from engine systems like variable valve timing) then the oil used and change frequency will be the first culprit thats accused.

For my money, I use the correct oil. I change the oil on 6 of my cars and they each use different oil.

08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

Darryl

Not wanting to stick up for this "authorised" unobtainium oil BS - but the other side of the coin s Mr/Ms uninformed taking the car to K-mart Auto where the "technician" claims (if pressed) that anything that  says <x>W<y> where <x> matches manufacturer spec and <y> is well - some number - is ok. And anyway - look how much cheaper your service is than at the dealer...

If the dealer "simplifies" things to "you must use one of these exact oils" then it simplifies things for all the above "actors". Hopefully you don't resemble any of them...

As the day goes

Quote from: Darryl on April 11, 2018, 06:26:28 PM

If the dealer "simplifies" things to "you must use one of these exact oils" then it simplifies things for all the above "actors". Hopefully you don't resemble any of them...

My point, it should be the manufacturer who says that very clearly in all markets in all owner manuals and clearly stated at the time of the purchase .  Not what the dealer says at a later date.