Thoughts on 159

Started by Pseudonym, March 12, 2018, 07:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pseudonym

Hi everyone, just thought I'd seek out some wisdom while it's still early days - basically I'm looking to get a 159ti but with the complication that it must be auto for the missus as well, at the moment I'm looking at a 2.2 selespeed I'm reasonably happy with but the seller and I are having some back and forth about getting an inspection done - I picked up on a bit of idle vibration and clutch noise during the test and for a change my head has stomped on my heart and said "Get it checked out". The knowledge of how much a flywheel costs may have had something to do with that...

So seeing as it's a bit up in the air I thought I'd get some opinions on the petrol vs diesel option. I'm actually pretty happy with the selespeed, although the girlfriend would probably appreciate the slushbox more, and the 2.2 isn't as gutless as I expected but the diesels are newer, slightly better on fuel and conventional auto. But diesel. Eww. I'd probably be quite happy with a V6 but I'd like to have some money in the bank after a refuel [emoji23]

And before someone says it if it were a manual only I'd just get the TBI for sale right now - and I sat in a base spec Giulietta the other day and immediately wished to go back outside...

Thoughts, comments? Space isn't too much of an issue it's mainly driving experience and maintenance costs I'm interested in, cheers

Sent from my HTC 2PS5200 using Tapatalk

poohbah

Hi mate. Having learned the hard way, I wouldn't buy the 2.2 without a pre-purchase check, so if he's being difficult, move on.

I'd have a word to the guys at Cileberti Motors in Ozzie Park and let them know what you are looking for. They also currently have an auto 1.9 turbo-diesel sportwagon in there which looks pretty sweet.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Pseudonym

Yeah cheers man - cilebertis are onto it, they'd be inspecting this one if he plays ball, I get where he's coming from but waiting for the right car won't kill me. The size of the wagon put the missus off and it lacks the ti goodness. Half the appeal of the ti spec is that I'll never need to modify it. Leo keeps trying to sell us the GT as well which is gorgeous but I have the 33 8v, the 72 corona coupe and then a 69 corona coupe under restoration - and an NX coupe somewhere [emoji23] It's taken a while but I've finally accepted I need a grown up car [emoji23]

The other negative I've got against the diesels is the emissions aren't supposed to be delicious and nutritious - although if I'm going to go from exhaust poisoning that black alloy fascia in the 2012 spec is a nice place to go...

poohbah

haha - sounds like you have it under control.

That's a very unusual collection you have - my missus had a 72 Corona sedan with the six cylinder engine when we first started going out (many moons ago in early 90s). Was a great car til the head gasket went. Back in those days, it just wasn't worth fixing. I think she sold it as a parts car for a couple of hundred bucks.
            1981 GTV

Pseudonym

Cheers, yeah they've been interesting projects - mainly because nobody kept spares for them [emoji23]

The 6 pot is no powerhouse but they cruise really nicely, power steering, twin pot front brakes drum rears - reminds me of the VL commodore actually.

The guy seemed pretty happy to help with the 159 when I broached the topic of inspection but after two days without reply I'm seeing a red flag - for any other Perthians looking around it's the black TI down in maida vale just so you know. The one plus of all this running around has been that I'm pretty sure the 159ti is my spirit animal - even the selespeed was actually very enjoyable despite internet reports. So if anyone happens to be selling an auto 159ti let me know, I'm going to hunt the east coast as well once I get a gap in work so I can head over.

poohbah

1981 GTV

Pseudonym

Yeah cheers, if it were a ti it'd be perfect - I'll keep my eyes peeled, the guy refused to get it checked out by a workshop so I pulled the pin, apparently it's since sold so hopefully someone got it for a good price.