159 V6 woud'nt start/run?

Started by AlfaArt, March 11, 2018, 02:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlfaArt

I have owned a 159 V6 Q4 manual with 65k for about 9 months and love the car to bits! Very reliable except for 2 occasions.

1. I was driving from Brisbane to Canberra at night and on Hume Highway car lost power without warning. Got it going finally but again stopped 5 km later. Called NRMA who said it wasn't getting fuel but gauge was showing between 1/4 and 1/8. he put in 10 litres of fuel and car started. He thought maybe fuel gauge problem? But it has never happened again since?

2. I left car in garage for about 2 weeks. Again car would crank over but not start. Again about 1/4 of fuel in tank. I put in another 20 litres of fuel and after a lot of cranking it finally started. There after nil problems what so ever?

So what is going on? Maybe crap in fuel tank that fouls up fuel filter time to time? Or could it be that the battery is getting marginal or alternator is on last legs and not putting out enough juice to keep car starting or running?

A service is now due so I was going to change the fuel filter and drain the fuel tank as step one? I think I will keep 10 litres of fuel in the boot until the problem is sorted!

AlfaArt

bazzbazz

The Fuel Gauge Sender, which is part of the Fuel pump is faulty, thus showing fuel is in the tank where in fact it is actually empty.

The fuel pump needs to be replaced. This is not an uncommon problem.

Also there is no separate fuel filter for the 159 3.2 V6, it is an integral part of the pump pickup.
(Have also sent you a PM on the subject)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

AlfaArt

Quote from: bazzbazz on March 11, 2018, 08:39:29 PM
The Fuel Gauge Sender, which is part of the Fuel pump is faulty, thus showing fuel is in the tank where in fact it is actually empty.

The fuel pump needs to be replaced. This is not an uncommon problem.

Also there is no separate fuel filter for the 159 3.2 V6, it is an integral part of the pump pickup.
(Have also sent you a PM on the subject)

Baz
Thanks Baz! I will replace it as soon as I can afford it. $950 from Alfa independent £333 from UK plus freight. If it's Bosch can maybe by it from them?

Sent from my D6683 using Tapatalk