Quick free sunvisor fix

Started by poohbah, March 10, 2018, 12:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

Dunno if anyone has posted this fix before, but thought it might help someone out.

The driver's side sunvisor on my 156 crapped itself this week - heard a small snap and then it was droopier than The Donald's ... errm you know.

Pulled the visor off the spigot, and after unsuccessfully trying a section of small rubber hose to add some resistance (still flopped), I cut a square of aluminium from a soft drink can and curled it into a tube and slid it into the visor slot as a sheath for the spigot and then gently eased the visor back on.

Now stays up, is nice and firm, no longer flops and cost nothing to fix.

I know its a simple swap job to replace sunvisors, but at least for now I don't have to hunt one down in the right colour. If I come across one I can replace it at my leisure.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Citroënbender

Interesting knowledge, thank you.

It would be nice if someone developed a more-or-less universal repair kit, considering how similar the visors are among European cars.

poohbah

cheers for that guys (and great research CB). I should have added that the shaped bit at the end of the peg on mine also snapped off, so I had to come up with a different fix. Hopefully my soft drink can special will last the distance.
            1981 GTV

Citroënbender

It was Sportiva who did the legwork!  :)

poohbah

ooops, thanks CB and sorry Sportiva - I forgot who said what!
            1981 GTV

poohbah

Should also have noted for anyone trying this themselves that I included a bit of overlap when I rolled the aluminium "sheath" - it may not offer enough resistance if you cut to to exact circumference with no overlap.
            1981 GTV