Remove Gear Lever Boot 147 GTA

Started by Kay_147_GTA, March 08, 2018, 02:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kay_147_GTA

My GTA is suffering from a floppy gear lever syndrome in it's old age. It does return to the middle in neutral but there's a fair amount of play (mostly side to side) both when in gear and neutral. I've bought new rubber bushes for the linkage which I will be installing soon however in the meantime I thought it would be good to have a look at the base of the gear lever but not sure how to get boot off, it doesn't look as simple as pulling it out. I've searched on forums and videos but can't find anything, anyone got any idea's? Thanks!
2005 147 GTA Monza (96 of 100)

Citroƫnbender

The gaiter simply clips in, as the console gets sticky from the tactile coating decomposing, it becomes more stuck than intended by design.

I first unclip the stud at the shaft top, then grasp the material of the gaiter on one of the longitudinal sides, and using a combination of pulling the material horizontally towards the centre/upwards, the clips begin to release; once a couple are free you can "walk" it out.

If all else fails, look at used ones being sold per Fleabay UK.  There will be one or two that have pictures showing the location and nature of clips.

That said, the above comments apply to manual transmission shift levers; if it is a Selespeed the bezel unclips similarly but a careful application of blunt spatula is sometimes required.

Kay_147_GTA

2005 147 GTA Monza (96 of 100)