Stuck Actuator Valve on Cylinder 2 - P1062

Started by Miss Juzzy, March 04, 2018, 05:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Juzzy

Hi, I have a 2011 1.4 Multi-Air Giulietta and have developed an issue with the actuator valve getting stuck in the 2nd cylinder. Error code is P1062. The issue occurred a few years ago and was sorted by popping fuel injector into the petrol tank. However, two years later and the error code and warning light have reappeared. In addition, I now lose power for about 20-30 seconds within five minutes of getting on the road (usually going up a hill and overtaking a slow-poke, which is incredibly frustrating). My mechanic and I are looking for a solution that does not involve forking out a couple thousand dollars for an entire new actuator unit. My old mechanic mentioned you can just replace the cylinder. Any thoughts?

bazzbazz

What oil has your mechanic been using in the car?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Miss Juzzy

Hi. He uses the one that is specific for my car. I can double-check, but he's an Alfa Romeo mechanic so knows that the little beasties can be a bit fractious if you don't use the right product. :-)

bazzbazz

Multi-Air units work like this -

Instead of the camshaft compressing each valve it compresses oil in a high pressure chamber, this pressure is then controlled by a high speed Solenoid valve that then compresses the valve.

Explained in detail here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKyQV_AlCFU

I suspect that it could be the high speed solenoid that is causing the error and this should be a replacement part.
If you take the cover off the engine you will see the row of Ignition Coils, behind these at the back of the engine is a row of what look like the injectors, but these are actually the Valve Solenoids.

Unfortunately there is only one way to find out if it is the culprit, replace with a new one.
(This may be what your old mechanic was referring to in regards to "Replacing the cylinder")
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Miss Juzzy

Thank you bazzbazz. I will pass onto my mechanic and he can look at both the oil (I've read on UK blogs that the Giulietta is sensitive to the oil levels. How you have described the high speed solanoid though sounds very much like 'replacing the cylinder'. :)

bazzbazz

Get him to do a compression test to see if cylinder #2 is down on compression. If it is it will be due to either the solenoid not working (should be able to replace it) or the High Pressure oil unit for that Cylinder in the Multi Air Unit has failed. (Replace the the MA Unit)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Andiroid

Hey there, I've had exactly the same problem. I've been told though that The whole multi-air unit must be replaced as you can't replace a single solenoid.

AJ
2013 Giulietta Distinctive Sportiva, 2004 147 Twin Spark 3dr

bazzbazz

Yes that is true, only because the individual parts of the MA unit are not available. You can only buy the unit as a whole.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Craig_m67

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)