Key Tag Tracking Devices

Started by Citroënbender, February 24, 2018, 10:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

I was an "early adopter" of these in one form, buying a number of Tile tracking tags.  For those who aren't familiar, they work using Bluetooth to connect with the "owner's" smartphone and keep tabs on the tag's location while it's in Bluetooth range (which isn't much). 

Fortunately I've not (yet!) lost a set of keys, but I have also one on the collar of my rescue cat, Nathan (named after Nathan Tinkler, because he's a bit tubby, came from the Hunter, and has a tinkly little bell on his collar).  Anyway, dusk this evening, young Nathan went MIA.  Couldn't track him with my phone, so set the tag to "Notify when Found".  Within a couple of minutes I had an email on the phone, my tag had been located, complete with little map.  I knew it couldn't be far, so wandered up the street and called - out comes the fleabag, somewhat bashfully, from under a Colorbond fence.  Whoever detected it for me, would have no idea their mobile device did so; it only notifies the tag owner. 

How does this relate to cars?  Well, it was my first impromptu test for suburban spread of these devices - and I was pleasantly impressed. Had I dropped a car fob whilst walking to the shops, it should be readily detected.  The app's a comparative battery hog on the phone, and there's little info about what the parent company does with user data, but for now I'm accepting those unquantified trade-offs in exchange for some extra reassurance. One doesn't need to own any of the devices to install and run the app, either.

Balfa

I've been tempted to buy one of these tracking tags but as you say the range of bluetooth makes the application limited.

There are GPS versions which I might consider trying one day...

Citroënbender

It's been interesting to watch the app improve both in user base and connectivity, although the (Tile) company is now at risk of becoming greedy IMO with talk of moving to tiered services and proposals to install fixed Tx/Rx units in popular locations (airports, rail hubs etc). 

The iPhail has pretty average Bluetooth power from my experience, it might be that some Android devices are sharper on the sensing - had a Samsung that would consistently connect to a device from about 100m.

GPS tracking is ideal for thievable stuff like car trailers and other collectibles, the Tile would be pointless.

Citroënbender

A heads-up, JB H-F are selling the twin packs of Tile Sport at $62-odd presently, a good comparative saving.

aggie57

interesting, so it uses any the Bluetooth on anyone's phone?  As in, a complete stranger? 
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Citroënbender

It uses Bluetooth on the phone/device of anyone who has installed the app and granted appropriate permissions in their settings. So not quite just anybody.

They have also enabled an anonymous thanks where you can show appreciation to the person whose device located your item, without any further identification being possible or given.

aggie57

Quote from: Citroënbender on August 28, 2018, 08:25:57 PM
It uses Bluetooth on the phone/device of anyone who has installed the app and granted appropriate permissions in their settings. So not quite just anybody.

They have also enabled an anonymous thanks where you can show appreciation to the person whose device located your item, without any further identification being possible or given.

Cool, thanks.  We all learn something new every day :)
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Citroënbender

I'd bought one of these as a slightly tongue-in-cheek housewarming gift for a friend who consistently loses her keys, and then tasks her somewhat over-it daughter with finding them.

Saw her the other day and asked if it had been any use. "I put the box away and thought I'd have a good read about how to use it on the weekend" she said. "And now I can't remember where I put it".

I think everyone has a friend like that. Or maybe a couple of them!

Citroënbender

Postscripts etc.

JB are offering a "Cyber Monday" deal on four Tile Mate trackers for $50. This is cheaper than anyone else I've found. As an early adopter I was paying a good $40 each, four years ago.

The car key losing friend eventually found her gift again, activated it and absolutely loves it to death - it gets used frequently!