Suppliers of “NEW” plastic chrome plated dashboard trims for GTV split dash

Started by bonno, February 09, 2018, 04:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonno

Hi Alfisti
I am looking for contact details of a supplier of NOS chrome plated dash board trims for Alfetta GTV split dash model. The trims fitted have had the chrome plating peel off over time, leaving the unsightly bare grey plastic finish (refer photo attached with trims arrowed in red). Have had quick search on the net without any luck, hopefully this post might result in locating a supplier over the next week or so or if not, need to look at other options such as re plating existing trims or covering trims with polished 304 stainless steel.
Thanks in advance
bonno

Citroënbender

In the interim, would it be practical to remove and cover the trims with chrome-look vinyl wrap?

Are they electroplated from new or was it a thin metallic film under plastic?

poohbah

I've experimented with vinyl wrap - self adhesive vinyl doesn't stay stuck down very long, and it really shows any uneven surface beneath the vinyl.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bonno

Thanks guys.
It appears that new chrome plated plastic trims are no longer available. My preference is to use 304 grade stainless steel flat bar 12W x 3mmT, that is cut and polished to the desired lengths and affixed using silicone.

bonno

Making enquiries at present with a chrome plating company located in South Australia who specializes in this type of work. I have requested a quote based on the photo and general description of trims.

Citroënbender

Good find, by the looks of it. Could be a great excuse for a road trip.

bonno

Made several attempts via e-mail for a quote to chrome plate existing plastic trims without success. I have deleted the company referenced on the earlier thread and decided to go with my original choice to replace the dashboard trims using the 304 Stainless flat bar and have it polished. My reasoning for this option is that it will not deteriorate over time, as was the case with the original OEM design, together with finish product matching the Stainless Steel door trims located on top of door cards (refer to photo attached).

Citroënbender

Shame about the other place not being helpful; they must have their hands full with clients like the tapware mob. But at least they could have replied.

I've just had a similar experience getting a simple fabrication for a domestic brief; all the places in Sydney that said "no job too small" either told me it wasn't a big enough job or didn't respond.  Ended up outsourcing to a fabricator in the Gold Coast...  I think avoiding actual work is becoming a national pastime. 

bonno

CB
Funny you mention the attitude of businesses with respect to taking on small jobs, as I also experienced this when trying to get quotes for my seats via e-mail. The only time that they seem to be at all interested, is if you visit them and discuss your requirements. 

bonno

Finally got a reply to my request for quote to re-chrome the plastic trims ($200) + Freight and GST. This is double the price of using the 304 SS flat bar ($20) and using service provider cut to size & buff ($120) option. I will attempt to cut and buff the pieces myself and see how it goes. The only difficult part of the whole job is removing the existing plastic trims stuck down with silicone (some form of surgical procedure required)

bonno

Cut, polished and fitted replacement 304 CRS trims as depicted in photo attached. The 304 CRS flat bar was a mill finish and required a fair bit of rubbing back with 400 wet and dry to get it to the level required for buffing to achieve the desired mirror finish, but the end result was worth the effort.

poohbah

Wow, that looks great Bonno.

I actually bought some brushed aluminium to replace the tired strips on mine quite a while back but haven't got around to it yet (have to think about where I put them now...). How did you go about removing the old strips? Just forceful levering off with a screw driver?
            1981 GTV

bonno

Hi Poohbah
Apart from the glove box lid strip a simple screwdriver under the trim and gently levered them off. The trim on glove box required removal of the plastic backing plate (4 screws) to expose the star locks securing the plastic trim and prying off gently. Used good quality silicone to secure the new 304 CRS trims and taped to secure whilst curing for 24 hours. I went for the polished Stainless Steel, as it matches the trims located on door cards.
Cheers
bonno

poohbah

Thanks Bonno. So you reckon silicone on its own will be strong enough to bear the weight over time?
            1981 GTV

bonno

Can’t guarantee the trims won’t fall over time, but from my experience and the data available suggests that it should do the job. Please note that to give it the best opportunity to bond between the two dissimilar materials, I ground the back face of CRS 304 strip and effectively cleaned the dashboard skin. Find link to product info I used “Permatex Black silicone”.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Permatex-3-oz-Black-Silicone-Adhesive-Sealant-75150/302775053.
Regards
bonno