Suspension bushing removal help

Started by V AR 164, January 17, 2018, 10:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

Hi all,

Currently in the process of replacing my suspension bushes in the 164, and am stuck on the front lower control arm bush.

So far I have burnt out the old rubber, leaving the metal 'sleve' in place. I am unable to remove it as I don't have a press to press it out.

I attempted to cut a slit into the metal sleeve and bend it inwards to remove it. But I can't seem to get a good angle to use the hack saw.

Any other recommendations or should I just send them off to a mechanic to do?

I have a complete new unit with the metal sleeve and inner 'pin mount bar'

It's the bush on the top left of the image.

Cheers, Andrew
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Citroënbender

Recipro if you're rough, else air powered hacksaw.

V AR 164

That's what I'm thinking.

Only thing is how do I press the new bushing in? I'm assuming I would need to heat up the lower control arm mount and hammer the new bushing in?
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Citroënbender

No hammering!

You can "draw" the bushing in, using a high tensile bolt/nut or equivalent threaded rod, a flatwasher on the receiving side and a suitably chosen socket or piece of steel pipe on the incoming side. Make certain the bore is burr-free, unrusted and lightly greased. Ditto on the shell, and be careful not to cock it as you get started.

bazzbazz

And make sure it goes in straight at the right angle or when you go to bolt it up the bolt holes won't line up !!
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

V AR 164

Quote from: bazzbazz on January 18, 2018, 12:14:42 AM
And make sure it goes in straight at the right angle or when you go to bolt it up the bolt holes won't line up !!

Yes I know hahahha, the only thing is that I cannot punch them in like a normal bushing because there is no centre hole.

The new bush has already got the metal pin bar through it, so the only way is to tap it in.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti