Towbar installation

Started by giovannidc, January 15, 2018, 09:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giovannidc

Hello all,
i bought a towbar kit that i would like to be installed but i believe i might need a dealer as my 147 is not a common model on the road.

Anyone has done this before?
Kit has everything it needs.
Cheers.

johnl

I fitted a 147 towbar myself, so it's doable, depending on skill level and time. It wasn't that difficult, but it's a fair bit of work. There are several thick steel plates that fit this way and that inside and outside the cars' bodywork (a bit of a jigsaw). A number of holes need to be drilled in the chassis. All these metal plates, the transverse bar and 'goose' neck towball all add up to a not inconsiderable amount of weight, it's all quite heavy.

I couldn't find an ADR approved bar for a reasobanble price, and the reasonably priced bar I did fit was sourced from England. It carries various European ceritifications, but not an ADR certification (so technically is an illegal fitment). At any rate, it works fine for towing a box trailer carrying a racing kart and associated racing gear, etc. I wouldn't recommend it for hauling a full load of wet sand. Nor would I recommend a 147 for such heavy duty towing either...

Initially I was concerned that there could be problems caused by wiring the trailer plug electrics into the car wiring. I had read that this could cause issues with the chassis computer detecting something 'wrong' with the electrics ('excessive' load) and then not working as is hoped / expected. If this occurred then it would have been necessary to wire the trailer globes through relays, rather than run them directly from the cars' globe wiring. In the end this was a non issue, it all worked fine without relays.

Regards,
John.

giovannidc

Thanks John, do you have any pics of the work?
I was thinking of doing that too, just don't wanna mess it up bad :)
I'd tow a motorcycle so not that bad at all i guess.

johnl

Sorry Giovanni,

It didn't seem to be a project worth documenting, so no pics.

Regards,
John.

giovannidc

You know how long it took you?

johnl

Hmm, it was a while ago now so not really sure. I think, from fading memory, not counting the electrical work, about one day,  give or take. I had to take the plastic bumper off, and the rear muffler too.

Regards,
John.

bonno

Hi Giovanndic
I would assume that the towbar kit came with installation instructions from the manufacturer and usually have sufficient detail for DIY installer. My 156 incorporates a Euro style gooseneck and tow ball assembly (refer picture attached) versus locally manufactured units that have them separate. I will be modifying mine to meet local design. The trailer wiring connector is available from local auto parts store and can be wired to the cars electrical wiring harness located at the rear of vehicle. The other option is to get it installed by your local mechanic/tow bar installers at a cost based on their hourly/fixed rate.
Regards
bonno

giovannidc

Thanks guys,
the kit has everything including the electricals.
I might go to a shop and get it done as i am short on time and working for the next 3 days.