Warning Lights Galore!

Started by Andiroid, January 13, 2018, 06:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andiroid

Hi Alfa Brains Trust!

I have been getting intermittent warning lights in my 2002 147 manual, telling me that an ABS, VCD, & EBD Failure is happening. Usually all at once. Sometimes at start up and sometimes as I'm driving. Sometimes it stays and sometimes it disappears while I'm driving.

As far as I can tell nothing happens differently when I'm driving. The braking still works when I've had a safe opportunity to test them seriously.

It also seems to mainly happen in very hot conditions. Perhaps once at night.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Andrew
2013 Giulietta Distinctive Sportiva, 2004 147 Twin Spark 3dr

bazzbazz

It could be anything from a faulty fuse, loose or dirty connector to a sensor on one of the wheels having an intermittent error.
Unfortunately intermittent faults are THE MOST annoying to fix, as the second you think it's fixed it pops up again.

You need it hooked up to a diagnostic for a scan, only takes a few minutes, otherwise you could be chasing your tail for minutes or days.
If you don't have access to one I have sent you a PM with my details if you'd like me to come round and take a look.

Baz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

poohbah

I had a combination of warning lights come on intermittently a few times in my first 156. Turned out to be faulty fuse in the fuse box in engine bay next to the battery.

I never would have found it though - guys in workshop managed to track it down. As Bazz suggests, OBD is your first stop.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

kaleuclint

Check the earth lead connection too.  The warning light show is symptomatic of it becoming loose though it may be in contact with the gearbox case.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

giovannidc

Also check your battery voltage.
Often i had these warnings come up on an old battery which promptly disappeared once i got a fresh one.