Re: Alfasud Ti Qv 1983 fuel leak

Started by herbyj, January 12, 2018, 04:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

herbyj

Hi
My Sud is leaking fuel when it is filled up at the service station.
It only happens when the tank is very full and stops when the fuel has dropped a little. While the tank is filling it doesn't occur only when it is getting near full.
The leak is from the area where the fuel hose would enter the tank.
I suspect a upper filler hose has split or perished.
Any ideas? What hose/part number should I look to buy? Any ideas who would have this part?
Cheers
Herby

bonno

Hi Herbyj
Find attached a link that provides info on fuel lines ID that are available through your local parts store. If fuel line is found to be perished, I recommend replacement of that section entirely. However, if it is not the fuel line and it is found tank is suspect, then I recommend that this be undertaken by an individual authorized for this type of work (any slip ups here can be catastrophic).
http://www.dayco.com.au/products.aspx?G=16002217&P=16027766

philpot

Hi Herby, as seen in the image from Haynes manual for the Sud, there are two rubber components to the filling of the tank.  The upper overflow small diameter rubber hose that flows back to the tank, just near the filler. Or, the larger diameter near right angle bend pipe that goes from lower plastic filler pipe into the tank proper.

Upper hose is generic size hose if it is that (you will need to investigate where leak is exactly). Lower is more problematic but can be obtained NOS.  Try squadra sportiva/shop alfisti in Germany, or Alfa Restoration UK, in Athens, Greece. Two places that list the lower rubber pipes that I know of off the top of my head.

My '85 33 QV has a fuel return rubber hose (?) angling up into the lower section of the plastic tube, just above the large diameter rubber pipe that attaches filler tube to tank. Not sure if your (?) year Sud is same ?

http://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styling/Classic-Alfas/Alfasud/Motor-Sports-Airfilters/Fuel-Filler-Rubber-Pipe-For-Alfasud-And-Sprint::8360.html

https://alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1050

Good luck with the investigation!
1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

Past:   '81 Alfasud ti      '76 Alfasud ti

Giulia65

Hi herby.  I had a very similar issue with fuel leak and smell on my 83 ti sud too - fixed it by replacing the lower 90 degree large diameter tank filler hose that you can see in that parts diagram.  Mine had perished and split and allowed leaking in similar circumstances and the car in the garage always smelled a little fuelle-y for no apparent reason...

If you're quick, check this eBay seller's item for a nos replacement one (search item 182467656694). Seller is in Italy (of course!) but i bought one from him and I had no problems and it turned up in about 10 days.

While you're down there, you may as well replace all the other flex hoses you can find with new pipes - can't be too careful. 
All the best with your sud. Cheers, Cameron

philpot

Hi Herby,

How'd you go tracing down the fuel smell/leak?

Cheers, Phil
1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

Past:   '81 Alfasud ti      '76 Alfasud ti

herbyj

Sorry Phil I'm overseas at the moment hence the late reply.
I took the Alfasud to Pursang and they diagnosed that it was the upper, thinner hose. It had perished.
I have ordered a new, non-factory hose from overseas. Alfasud parts Uk who are in Greece supplied it and some other parts that I'm after.
Thanks for the help from the Forum.
Herby