156 GTA Headlamps

Started by bteoh, January 08, 2018, 07:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bteoh

My left xenon headlamp has stopped functioning. Usual checks like fuse and globe seemed ok. So the only thing that might be faulty would be the ballast and ignitor. I could purchase new ones from the internet but was wondering if anyone had a used left xenon whole light assembly for sale? I imagine I would have to remove the front bumper to remove the headlamp? Can't seem to find any instructions on how to remove the front headlamps anywhere.
Cheers

Citroƫnbender

Re headlamp removal, one of my "cheats" is to look at the subject items on UK Fleabay (where there are usually more for sale than Oz).  You tend to get a compilation of different angled photos and can readily work out where/how things are fixed off. 

Don't forget the flyspray if you whip the bumper off - it's frequently spider central.

bazzbazz

No need to remove bumper completely -

1/ remove left wheel
2/ get underneath wheel arch and remove the 3 internal fixings that hold the bumper to the guard
3/ remove the flat star bolts in the centre top of the bumper that attach it to the front framework, you will have to remove the small grills on either side of the central grills to access 2 of these

4/ this allows you to slide & drop the left side of the bumper forward & down enough to access the two hidden bolts of the light assembly, remove these and the top bolt, slide light forward and disconnect light harness.

I suggest you have something to support the bumper as you do this, don't let it just hang by the right guard fittings as it may crease/crack the bumper.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bteoh

Thanks for the instructions Baz. I managed to get enough clearance from dropping the bumper slightly to remove the left headlamp and it wasn't as bad as I thought. Now I need to either source a second hand complete headlamp or order a new ballast and ignitor. The ballast is easy enough to change but the ignitor is hidden inside the plastic casing of the headlamp. Looks difficult to access and was wondering if anyone has done it before?
Cheers  :)