Import Advice - UK to Australia (modified 1990 Alfa 75)

Started by alfonzogonzini, January 05, 2018, 12:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfonzogonzini

Hi all

I have put a deposit on a rather special 75 3L V6 (Evo bodykit, RS suspension, lightweight panels, half cage) in the UK. I now wish to import said beastie to Sydney & put on club plates as a fast road/track toy.

Currently trying to get my head around the import hurdles. Understand it is straight-forward for pre-1989 cars, but being 1990 the process is a little more complex. Aust Govt website suggests the following options:

1. Letter of Compliance - a letter from a holder of an Identification Plate Approval (IPA) stating vehicle complies with ADR's
2. Discretionary Approval - vehicle does not qualify under a defined import option, however Minister (or delegate) may decide to approve application

Wondering if anyone on the forum has experience importing from the UK who could shed some light. Also is my life going to be made all the more difficult through the car being modified?

Also the seller has advised me to appoint an agent in Australia to help handle the paperwork - any suggestions?

Any words of wisdom would be very well received!

Cheers,

Jonathan
Current:

'15 4C Launch Edition
'08 159 JTS Ti 3.2 Sportwagon (6-speed manual)
'06 166 Ti 3.0
'83 GTV6 ex-Greg Carr/Fred Gocentas
'67 Duetto

Previous:

'92 75 3.0 V6 Potenziata
'79 Alfetta GTV
'77 Alfetta GTV

LukeC

Up until mid-2017, I was a certification engineer with VSS. I did import assessments for this type of vehicles to advise on whether they could be imported.

Best category to try for is "Rally". Some of the SZ and RZ cars in the contry got in this way. But then, they are definitely cars that were not available and we took the view that they would never be used for eveyday use. A car that was sold here in very similar specs post '89 falls under the SEVS rulings.

You could argue the model was identical to an '89.

ARA imported these cars back in the day and no longer exists as an entity and Fiat Chrysler IMO will not be interested in issuing a LOC.

There are two issues that will stop you getting an LOC anyway: No cat/unleaded fuel and side no intrusion bars. Not biggies, but
if you are successful, you may have to install as part of getting an engineering certificate. Consult with the state registration authorities....
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

alfonzogonzini

Thanks for the advice LukeC - much appreciated & straight from the coal face no less!

So clearly I rule out the LOC option, and sounds like SEVS is the way to go. I have had a read of the SEVS Application for Eligibility and there are a few q's that have thrown me:

11. has manufacturer advised Administrator it does not plan to supply Vehicle Model under full volume approval in Australia?

Would such advise be standard when a manufacture stops importing a particular model? Note if I answer 'NO' to this question the vehicle is not eligible for import?

14. Does this vehicle Make Model have a build date at least one year after the build date of the last vehicle supplied to the Australian market in full volume?

15. Has the full volume compliance plate holder advised the Administrator it agrees for the one year period to be waived?

Re: q's 14 & 15, these seem aimed at more modern vehicles however if I answer 'NO' to q15 again the vehicle is not eligible for import?

Also, is it a one shot process? If say SEVS Application fails, can I then go for say a Discretionary Approval?

I was under the impression cars brought in as "Rally" could not then get registration?

Ideally I would land my 75 in Sydney and put on club plates but with option of full rego if my needs change. Bit worried the modifications might cause me grief: upgraded Brembo brakes, Ron Simons suspension, carbon bonnet, roll cage etc.

Have attached some pics FYI.

Thanks again LukeC!

Cheers,

Jonathan
Current:

'15 4C Launch Edition
'06 166 Ti 3.0
'67 Duetto

Previous:

'92 75 3.0 V6 Potenziata
'79 Alfetta GTV
'77 Alfetta GTV

V AR 164

Can't help with you initial question,

But, WOW that is one fine looking 75!!!!
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

alfonzogonzini

Many thanks V AR 164 - I am looking forward to setting her loose on local roads!

LukeC - further to reply above, I have also sent you a PM (just in case I cocked it up - this forum business is all new to me!)

Cheers,

Jonathan
Current:

'15 4C Launch Edition
'06 166 Ti 3.0
'67 Duetto

Previous:

'92 75 3.0 V6 Potenziata
'79 Alfetta GTV
'77 Alfetta GTV

ANG156

My advice is to contact Marc Berard of Italian automotive connection. Details in the below thread. This guy has imported sz's, integrales, fiat's, bm's, Ferrari's. He has been doing it for years.

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=6534.0

Darryl

Cut the car in half before shipping it  :P . Then iiuc it isn't a "car" and becomes a collection of used car parts/an unregisterable wreck.

That was a bit tongue in cheek and none of this constitutes words of wisdom... Just from asking dumb questions at subi wreckers about the number of matched front/back "half cuts" and watching too much MCM...

Still - it could be a solution if you can find a (registerable) 75 shell here and do a lot of transplant work (for an "ordinary" 75 it still seems that the price of car is < the sum of the main mechanical parts - should be plenty of "free" shells if you can stop them going to the crusher) but getting a car cut in half and shipped from UK is probably not so easy...

As others have mentioned rally also works - but not if you ever want it road legal - that would seem to include club rego: "complying with the relevant NSW vehicle standards" is in the NSW CVS requirements (which iiuc require the car to be 30 years old anyway so you would still need to wait - might as well be swapping shells while you do...).

bazzbazz

Quote from: Darryl on January 07, 2018, 01:54:13 PM
Cut the car in half before shipping it  :P . Then iiuc it isn't a "car" and becomes a collection of used car parts/an unregisterable wreck.

You SURE you never served in the military ? 

It's just perfect Air Force wisdom & logic . . . not to mention we DID do the exact same thing with an F-111 once.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

kaleuclint

Yes Baz, same goes for procuring certain Mirage III components from Atlas in South Africa and avoiding breach of sanctions by importing them as "agricultural machinery parts".

Quote from: bazzbazz on January 07, 2018, 03:03:49 PM
Quote from: Darryl on January 07, 2018, 01:54:13 PM

You SURE you never served in the military ? 

It's just perfect Air Force wisdom & logic . . . not to mention we DID do the exact same thing with an F-111 once.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Darryl

Bureaucracy  is not rare and unfortunately is yet to accidentally classify itself as munitions and deny civilian access.  I do live in hope...