Oil/Petrol/Air/Pollen Filter cross references for Alfa Romeo 156

Started by bonno, January 03, 2018, 09:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonno

Hi Alfisti
For those enthusiasts that carry out their own servicing and prefer the ease of purchasing at the local auto parts store you will find the following link useful.
http://www.rycofilters.com.au/catalogue/application/index/make/ALFA+ROMEO/model/156/vehicle-type
cheers
bonno

bonno

Went to the local auto parts store this morning to purchase an Oil filter for the Alfa Romeo 156 JTS. The Ryco booklet located in store did not have a listing for my vehicle, even though the Ryco website cross reference chart indicated availability. Spoke to the chap in the store to clarify the situation and he did confirm via his computer terminal that RYCO does list an oil filter for my AR  and was RYCO P/N "Z608", which they held in stock at a cost of $25. It is no wonder that Alfa Romeo owners sometimes get frustrated, as information on vehicle parts such as a simple oil filter is not available/clear.
cheers
bonno

Citroënbender

It's one area where being self-taught falls down, but I'm not comprehending why filters aren't spec'd by fitting details, cartridge length (or volume) and relief valve characteristics. It just seems odd to list so many near identical filters.

bonno

Yes I agree, probably in 99% of cases you would have just accepted that no filter is available and end of story. The filter purchased today and fitted to the car was identical to the one it replaced, as the overall length is critical due to space limitation.  Total cost for the self conducted oil change,  including filter and 5 litres of appropriate grade of full synthetic oil came out to $85 and 1 hours work.

Citroënbender

Oil and filter change in a newer Falcodore is usually more expensive. You did well, if that was with Penrite.

With the 2.0TS oil filters, I've found that one for my French toys fits perfectly - Purflux LS867B. It's slightly longer than OEM and holds maybe half a cup more oil. Means I cover most of the fleet with just one filter type (which I buy in quantity).

bonno

bazzbazz

Quote from: bonno on January 05, 2018, 07:06:12 PM
Used Penrite Enviro +5W-40 Full Synthetic oil.

Ahhhhh, you used that in a 156 2.0 JTS ?????   :o
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bonno

Bazz
Yes, on this occasion to see how it goes, but should have gone for the Castrol Edge OW-40 Full Synthetic (nil stock) which meets the SAE 10W-60 specified for the 2.0L JTS.

bazzbazz

Yes it is the correct API spec, except it's NOT 10w-60.

API & ACEA specs are important parts of the oils build up, but there are VERY good reasons why engines are matched to particular weight
oils. By using the much lighter weight oil you could expect to see one or more of the following -

A/ Increased oil use
B/ Wear/Damage to piston rings  (JTS Piston Rings are notorious for being fragile and cracking)
C/ Increased wear on Cam Lobes & Valve Guides

The ONLY reason I could possibly think of why you would do this is for an increase in performance/economy, but unless your looking for that 1/10th of a second off your Bathurst lap time it's not advisable. I have seen the use of wrong oils cause dramatic damage over surprisingly short periods of time. (Including on this forum, several times)

I hope that this advice does not come across as being heavy handed or boorish, just hate to see anything unfortunate resulting from your choice. However, you have been around long enough so I assume you know what you are doing and look forward to your conclusions.

Bonne chance, mon ami.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

bonno

Thanks Bazz, so your recommendation for the oil would be Penrite 10 Tenths Premium 10 “10w-60” or its equivalent. Also will be monitoring oil consumption every 500 kms and plan to replace oil at 5000kms with the correct grade Penrite.

bazzbazz

Yes, that's correct, if you're ever needing to know what oil to use in what car go to the Penrite site and use their "Product Selector". it will always give the most up to date oil to use in almost any engine.

One thing to keep in mind is that while the engine will always be the same engine oil technology marches on, as the old add says, "oils ain't oils Sol !"    ;)

I have to admit, I am curious, what influenced your original choice of Castrol Edge OW-40 ?

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

bonno

My decision was based on it meeting A3/B4 standard referenced by AR, refer to link below for specification details, ie; the King Kong of oils as described by Castrol. However unable to purchase as it was not available at the time.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Castrol-Edge-Engine-Oil-0W-40-5-Litre/299202?utm_source=shop_search&utm_medium=search_results&utm_campaign=g_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiA4bzSBRDOARIsAHJ1UO4Rv-BDcW5fIka4-llj6E1FtiUEL8DyLlbHmKffhNTQWBkwEU_rVUAaArlJEALw_wcB

Citroënbender

Supercrap seem to have dropped the Penrite 10W-60 10 Tenths from their range. 

I've found it at Autobarn and Repco in several cities on the east coast, but my dearest person went one better and got herself a trade card through a mate at Repco. Came back with 5L of the good Penrite for $72, which is not too shabby for over-the-counter. 

bonno

Further research and alternatives of equivalent grades of SAE 10W-60 oil are as follows.
In support of Bazz advice on the criticality of using the correct grade oil, find extract of AR Owners Manual on Oil consumption figures and link to Engine Oil explained.
Page 258 AR Owner Manual extract
Engine oil consumption
Max. engine oil consumption is usually
400 grams every 1000 km.
During the initial period of use the engine
settles, therefore the engine oil consumption
can only be considered stabilised after
the first 5000 ÷ 6000 km.
WARNING Engine oil consumption depends
on the way of driving and the conditions
of use of the car.
The following link provides "Engine Oil 10w-60 explained".
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/t-car-engine-oil-10w-60-explained.aspx
The most popular brand alternatives that meet SAE 10W-60 grade of oil are as follows;
1.   Selenia Racing
2.   Penrite 10 Tenths Premium 10 "10w-60"
3.   Castrol Edge 10W-60
4.   Valvoline VR1 Racing SAE 10W-60
Hope this information might help in clearing up some misconceptions on what type of engine oil and oil consumption figures associated with the 2.0 Litre JTS engines used on AR motor vehicles

Colin Edwards

Hi Bonno,

From that list of oils I'd be using the one with the highest viscosity index, lowest volatility (NOACKS %) and High Temperature High Shear (HTHS) of 3.5 or better.
Most oil makers publish the Viscosity Index spec but few publish volatility and HTHS numbers.
A fair dinkum PAO Ester oil should be preferred.  I use either LiquiMoly or Motul in my JTS however its the 3.2 and Alfa spec 5W-40 for this engine.  Not sure if LiquiMoly or Motul do a 10W-60 for the 2.0 JTS though.

These direct injection engines need a very high spec oil.  The high temperatures of the piston crown will make volatile oils go thick and the nature of the bearing surfaces cause low shear stable oils to go thin!  The oil in these engines get a very hard time!

Colin.
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5