147 stuck out of gear, lever stiff and won't select any gears

Started by giovannidc, December 26, 2017, 11:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giovannidc

Hi guys,
on my way home tonight i heard something snap under the gear lever and then i was stuck in third, no other gears were selectable and once i stopped to check i was in neutral and could not go anywhere.
Any idea on what it is?
:(

bazzbazz

There are two cable attached to the gear lever, one of these may have popped off their ball joints or broke.

The gear lever itself is also housed in a nylon housing, this sometimes splits, but that usually results in a very sloppy and vague/random gear change.

You can remove the gaiter at the base of the gearstick, do so and see if you can see if the nylon housing seems to be intact. the two ball joint connectors & cables are below this and can only be viewed from below the car & after the exhaust & heat shields are first removed.

So by the sounds of it, its a tow job to the local repair shop.

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

giovannidc

Thank you for the input.
It feels like the gear lever goes only forward, a fair bit, to the point that it touches the air con buttons. On the other hand, it won't go back as to engage 2nd or 4th.
I am going back to the car in the morning and will have a look at the cables. :(

giovannidc

I went back to the car this morning and could not do much.
I moved the cables in the engine bay a bit and managed to engage what i think is 3rd or 5th.
Tonight i drove the car back home in that gear, forcing myself to keep momentum to avoid stopping as much as possible.
The mechanic that i go to is shut until 2nd of Jan and i guess many others too. Also, this is not a part they are likely to have on hand (except if you have Alfa Romeo parts around) .
Will probably have to wait, lucky i have a motorcycle as a backup.

Paul Gulliver

Try Monza Motors in Bayswater. I think Mick is working over the Christmas break. They will probably have the parts to as they are wreckers. Sorry Alfa re cyclers.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

giovannidc

Thanks, i can. It really depends on how willing i am to wait as i want to have the car ready for the second week of Jan, absolutely.
Will give them a call tomorrow. Cheers.

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

Quote from: giovannidc on December 27, 2017, 09:36:18 PM
I moved the cables in the engine bay a bit and managed to engage what i think is 3rd or 5th.
So, from your comments we can assume that both cable ends were firmly attached in the engine bay, and the bracket which their sheaths abut, is also firm in its fixing?

It's a cussed aspect of the 147's design, that the bolt-in "spine" to which the gear shifter housing bolts, must be lowered to remove the shift lever assembly. Wouldn't have taken much redesigning to avoid this problem.

giovannidc

Quote from: Citroënbender on December 27, 2017, 11:33:45 PM
Quote from: giovannidc on December 27, 2017, 09:36:18 PM
So, from your comments we can assume that both cable ends were firmly attached in the engine bay, and the bracket which their sheaths abut, is also firm in its fixing?

It's a cussed aspect of the 147's design, that the bolt-in "spine" to which the gear shifter housing bolts, must be lowered to remove the shift lever assembly. Wouldn't have taken much redesigning to avoid this problem.
Yes, at least i have some control over a gear change from the engine bay, by moving the cables. I believe that whatever happened under the gear stick is preventing the cables to select any other gear.
Still not sure how i managed to make it home in 5th gear (pretty sure it's either that or 3rd, lol).
Last time i checked my mechanic had another 147 Ti that he bought for parts (that is where i also got my replacement sunscreen frame) so i am hoping he has a gear lever assembly to be swapped out for my, surely, broken one.

Citroënbender

I'm fairly confident that Rocco, the eBay/Gumtree vendor in Doonside NSW would have the bits and be able to Express post this week. The better your Italian, the better you will get along with him.

bazzbazz

Italian?  From the couple of phone conversations I had with him I thought it was Klingon!  ???

;D ;D ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

He doesn't have that laid-back cadence of the Southerners, that's for sure.

Mick A

Quote from: Paul Gulliver on December 27, 2017, 10:14:03 PM
Try Monza Motors in Bayswater. I think Mick is working over the Christmas break. They will probably have the parts to as they are wreckers. Sorry Alfa re cyclers.

I will be back at the workshop from Tuesday the 2nd.
Giovanni, if you just want the parts, you can pickup by arrangement. You'll need to call the workshop number which is currently diverted to Hugh's mobile at the moment, 9720 4442. He will advise cost and then I will call you to arrange pickup time. Can be tomorrow or Sunday if that helps.

If you want us to do the work, it'll have to be dropped at the workshop first thing Tuesday morning, and you should be able to pick the car up that same evening.

Mick.

giovannidc

Thanks Mick,
the problem is i am on the other side of town and i am back at work on the 2nd so it's a bit of stretch in terms of time available.
Will advise if i can make it this way.
Thank you.

Citroënbender