Insurance Company Recommendations

Started by V AR 164, December 22, 2017, 12:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

Hi all,

Insurance is coming up soon and I am after a few suggestions from members who own cars on club permits.

Currently, I have the 164Q insured with Shannons, however, are a bit pricey for how often the car is driven. Plus my agreed value is a tad low for my liking.

I have heard that RACV offer a classic car insurance service that cost around $100 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

If not, are there any other insurance places that are worthwhile to have a look at? Gonna do a ring around tomorrow but wanted to ask for some opinions first.

Much appreciated!
Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

kaleuclint

Why not give Shannons the opportunity to requote, Andrew?

My H-plate policies for limited use are very reasonably priced and I set my own agreed value.  Premium for the 159 is another matter!
2011 159ti 1750TBi

lombardi

My 74 spider has classic cover from nrma , believe it or not they where the cheaper option , nearly half price to shannons
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

Italian Supermodel

Hi Andrew,
I'm thinking Shannons,and most likely any other insurer out there,  have jumped on the scales with their 'risk assessment ' and think there needs to be a premium paid by an 18 year old male driving a 3 litre manual saloon (club plates notwithstanding).
What about putting it under dad's name?

V AR 164

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yes I will give Shannon's another call and see what they can do.

Thanks for the tip Lombardi, will also check them out.

Of course I understand the premium of someone my age driving such car, I think currently it is under my father's name and do intend to keep it that way.

Currently I am indeed covered with an excess (can't remember exactly what it is), however I recall RACV could fully insure the car with me as a designated driver for a reasonable price.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Joe Garra

I'm with Shannon's, and very happy with their service.
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

Maltalfisti

I used to be with Aami for Comprehensive. Standard rego – it's my daily driver – so not on a club rego. Made one claim with them and they were great.

Then I jumped over to Qantas because they offloaded a stack of frequent flyer points as a signup bonus and they were marginally cheaper.

But today just got my annual insurance bill and I see it's gone up a bit. My understanding is that everyone's premiums have increased since the number of car accidents since Covid – less people out driving and practising and experiencing (or is that just BS?)

In any case, does $975 comprehensive for a 159 not on club rego sound average? Can I do better? Or do I suck it up, stop buying coffees en route to work and refinance the mortgage (lol)?  ;D
The only problem with the GTV6? They forgot to install the flux capacitor...

As the day goes

I have been Lumleys Special Vehicles for 5 years.  Got it via club membership.  Have a diesel 159 and last renewal was less than $600

GTVeloce

I have both my GTV and 75 insured with Lumley Special Vehicles. Price is cheaper than Shannons and when I wrote off my old GTV a few years ago they were quick to sort things out. Both cars are on club plates. Happily recommend them.

Maltalfisti

Quote from: Australia on April 06, 2022, 06:29:31 AM
I have been Lumleys Special Vehicles for 5 years.  Got it via club membership.  Have a diesel 159 and last renewal was less than $600

Via club membership – you mean your vehicle as club plates, or as a member of the AR Club here in Vic?
The only problem with the GTV6? They forgot to install the flux capacitor...

GTVeloce

Both. They give a discount to club members I believe and the price is also cheaper if the car is on club registration.