Group A GTV6 in Australian Muscle Car Magazine #99

Started by Paul Newby, December 21, 2017, 04:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Newby

Fellow Alfisti,

Just letting you know that the latest issue (No.99) of Australian Muscle Car magazine has an article on the history ex-Colin Bond/Alan Jones Group A GTV6 owned for almost thirty years by Hugh Harrison.

Cheers,
Paul
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Evan Bottcher

Paul, I just bought a copy and it's a brilliant read.  Such a lot of historic detail and entertaining to boot.  Good work.

I'm surprised how much of Australian Muscle Car I enjoy reading.

I use the Zinio app btw to read these magazines on my iPad, I find it really good (no affiliation of course).
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

aggie57

Great article Paul, you captured a lot of the spirit that was so much part of racing those cars in the day. And some great photos as well - the Volvo, Alfa, BMW, and Brock's Commodore together (at Amaroo?) and another showing a young Joe Beninca working his magic on the 75 engine.

Doesn't time fly.  Many of us in Victoria remember the period Frank owned the car, one particular 6-hr at Winston he slapped on a set of new slicks for qualifying (when it was still a race and not regularity of course) and steamed around the short track in 1:04 and change.  Great driving, we all enjoyed watching him behind the wheel.

Then Mike bought it and as you say in he kept on breaking things.  Didn't understand that race cars should be warmed up, gearbox's are non indestructible and more. One event as I recall he didn't even make it through one lap. It's easy to understand Hugh getting frustrated.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

massiveluvbuddy67

AWESOME! Thank you for the tip.
Not my usual car reading fodder, but will acquire a copy quick smart...
Thank you
Phil

Paul Newby

Thanks guys for the compliments, it's really appreciated. I know that AMC is not supposed to cover Alfa Romeos but we've tried to broaden the reach of the magazine especially cars built up and raced at Bathurst – I did a comprehensive article on the Morris Cooper S a year ago and this is the third Alfa feature I've written for the magazine.

It did take a bit of organising because I wanted to do a club night with Colin Bond and the original mechanics and soon realised that I really needed the car as well... Luckily I was able to persuade Hugh Harrison to bring the GTV6 up for the Muscle Car Masters where it was photographed (with Bond) for the magazine and then was the backdrop for the club night the Monday after the Masters where I conducted a Q & A with CB, mechanics Nigel and John and Hugh at Mick Mitchell's Corse Automotive. We had close to 100 people in attendance including Frank Crott and it was a great night.
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

aggie57

Quote from: Paul Newby on January 11, 2018, 05:08:03 PM
Thanks guys for the compliments, it's really appreciated. I know that AMC is not supposed to cover Alfa Romeos but we've tried to broaden the reach of the magazine especially cars built up and raced at Bathurst – I did a comprehensive article on the Morris Cooper S a year ago and this is the third Alfa feature I've written for the magazine.

It did take a bit of organising because I wanted to do a club night with Colin Bond and the original mechanics and soon realised that I really needed the car as well... Luckily I was able to persuade Hugh Harrison to bring the GTV6 up for the Muscle Car Masters where it was photographed (with Bond) for the magazine and then was the backdrop for the club night the Monday after the Masters where I conducted a Q & A with CB, mechanics Nigel and John and Hugh at Mick Mitchell's Corse Automotive. We had close to 100 people in attendance including Frank Crott and it was a great night.

Like Evan, I was surprised how much of the magazine was of interest. It's a good read.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list