b14 bilstein rear coilover queries

Started by 17fitty, December 20, 2017, 02:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

17fitty

I have recently purchased a 156ts with the bilstein b14 coilover kit(which looks brand new)and the top strut mounts are shagged and the passengers side can move/bang by hand.Do the b14 kit use the standard 156ts rear top strut mount or is there something else.I have spoken with bilstein Aus and they are adamant that you do?reason I ask is ive got 2 new ones and visually look different in the top rubber section.(but mine are totally flogged)
Next-before I started on this endeavour I have researched removal of the strut etc and found a lot of complaints about the allen key entry at top of strut itself is very soft-hence brought top quality 6mm metric allen key and yep you guessed it-stripped out with very little pressure x2(and soaked them for 48 hrs with inox).For such a quality looking thing cant believe they are made from such a soft material.
This 156 ts is set up as track/road car with lots of good bits and would be known throughout the Vic chapter and was advertised on here last month---
Any help much appreciated.

17fitty

For any interested peeps if your going to put particularly bilstein b14 coilover kits in the rear of your car cut down a 6mm allen key and have it tig welded into the top of the strut(proudly done by fellow alfisti Peter @ Independent custom Fab) before installation to save a lot of angst/anger/humiliation/sweat blood and tears.No damage from the heat and worked a treat.Also rear std 156 top hats do work .
Happy daze........cam belt next