No Brake Booster In A Road Car???

Started by Duk, December 18, 2017, 03:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Edwards

Living in Melbourne I have only spoken to local radiator manufacturers.  A couple in Dandenong, one in Braybrook and another in Mornington.  All very interested in building a lighter and more efficient radiator for the 75 V6.  All prefer a sample radiator to work from or very detailed dimensions. 

Recently installed a DTM type front splitter.  In addition to reducing lift / drag it appears to have improved the cooling.

Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Duk

I had another look at the big aluminium radiator and weighed it.
My SPAM scales only go to 4999gms and the Commodore radiator exceded that. But I took off and weighed the top pressed steel and whole sawed plate and its 4 bolts. That pannel and bolts weighed about 500gms.
There's a similar plate on the bottom that has the mounting feet welded to it, tho I'm not sure I'd want to get rid of that.
Looking closer at it could show a practical answer and it can be done away with, then there's another 500 grams saved.
The idea was to use the top and bottom plates for attachment points for the fan shrowd.

Then there is the built in auto-trans fluid cooler and filler neck/cap
I'd ordered a manual radiator, but they'd sent me the auto one.
At the time I didn't have my TIG welder (I didn't even have a decent work bench), so these days cutting the tank off, making a new one with the lower outlet in the correct place (a bit higher), no internal heat exchanger and no radiator cap/neck is probably looking to be the way I'll go about it. That'll save w bit more weight there too.

Even if the total weight of the bigger radiator and shrowded 14" fan is a bit heavier than the standard one, it'll still count as a win in my book. The original radiator struggled so badly when the weather was hot. Admitedly the original radiator was far from new, these cars just lacked proper cooling capacity.
A Comodore A/C condensor looks to be a worthwhile, readily available, well priced apgrade too. But there'll be more custom work there to make it work.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???