156 JTS WARNING LIGHT

Started by sportiva, December 17, 2017, 10:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportiva

I

bonno

Hi Sportiva
Extract of Owners manual P108
Check Panel Indicator light represents CONSTANT SPEED ADJUSTMENT (CRUISE CONTROL)
(where applicable)
The warning light on the check panel turns on, with the knurled ring of the cruise control in the
ON position, when the device starts to intervene on the engine.

bonno

Funny thing,  the Air bag light on my 156 JTS recently come on and had me puzzled initially,  as the usual culprit (connector located under passenger side seat), was found not to be the problem. After bit of research found the curtain air bag connectors which are located in boot drivers side behind plastic cover plate (yellow and orange connectors). Pulled apart and checked condition of pins, reconnected connectors and Air Bag light problem solved.

bazzbazz

Both these are common problems with the airbag lights, but just do yourselves a favour, ALWAYS disconnect battery for 30 minutes when ever playing with airbag connectors. Murphy's Law and all . . . .  ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bonno

Good Point BAZZ. Might be a costly/dangerous exercise if something did go wrong. ;)

Mick A

Unfortunately for you I think you'll find the diesel sound will be worn camshafts, a very common problem on JTS motors that have been mistreated.

They are usually around $400 each second hand.

As far as the low compression on two cylinders, worn camshafts may be contributing to that, but I would suspect that the engine has suffered damage due to lack of oil. If it turns out that you need to replace piston rings, a more cost effective approach would be to just replace the engine with a good second hand unit, rather than spend the time/money on rebuilding an already suspect engine.

cheers.

Mick

bonno

Sportiva
If you can smell fuel from within the cab more than likely it is the fuel pump. Refer to a previous post that covers repair/replacement undertaken 
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17042.msg98242#msg98242

Colin Edwards

Hi Sportiva,

Great news re your $1500 156 2.0.  Cars and scenarios like this are a huge boost for Formula 98. 

Very affordable motorsport!
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

bazzbazz

Quote from: Colin Edwards on December 20, 2017, 09:50:36 AM
Formula 98. 

Very affordable motorsport!

I must have missed the memo on this, can you elaborate?
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

bonno

Bazz
I am not sure whether Formula 98 that Colin has mentioned and the Alfa Romeo Twin spark cup racing series just released in Dec 2017 is one in the same. I have attached link that provides an overview into the introduction of the AR Twin Spark cup.
http://www.alfaclubnsw.org.au/motor-sport-motoring/race/

Colin Edwards

AROCA Vic called a Sprint Category for 147's, 156's and GTV's "Formula 98".  Essentially for AR fwd 2L cars manufactured around 1998.  Regs are presently being "massaged" to more closely align with those in other states - like the NSW Twin Spark Cup.  AROCA Vic may include JTS engines into the mix.  However all this is really for another thread.
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Craig_m67

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

bonno

Hi Craig_m67
Unsure, but AROCA QLD have nothing on their website. Agree with Colin that information on the TS cup challenge should be on separate/relevant section pertaining to Motorsport Administration. Maybe it would be a good idea to start a post and ask the question of contacts in NSW and VIC.

bazzbazz

Craig, we need to talk to El-Presidente' about this, I have a 156 TS sedan in the shed ready to convert to track car, he has just picked up a 147 TS for the track, so having such a class in Qld shouldn't be too hard to organise.

Why is there a tune of "da dada dat dat da daaa" suddenly ringing in the back of my head??   ???

;D ;D ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

warsch

I will join TS races too if there are any.

Actually, as far as I can see, all AROCA race meetings in QLD are now together FIAT guys and run under T124 banner. The series consists of about 5 sprints over the year and probably same 5 races.

Sprints are open to road registered cars and don't require any modifications. I am planning to take part in sprints this year and don't see why other TS owners wouldn't follow the case.