Alfa 166 V6 engine service

Started by Diamond Ric T, December 15, 2017, 01:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diamond Ric T

Good day fellow ALFA owners

BACKGROUND

I have recently acquired an ALFA 166 V6 (2001). One previous owner, but log book peters out at about 2010. Leaky water pump and cam belt overdue for replacement.
I have previously owned a 1987 ALFA 75 which I had for 10 years, and did all the cam belt and water pump replacements for. No overly special tools, just marked out the belt and made sure nothing moved. Never had an issue. The 166 is a little more complex, being a quad cam.I have recently bought cam blocks and a TDC tool and gauge.

QUESTIONS

1. DO I NEED TO LOCK THE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY (with either the factory or an improvised locking tool) BEFORE APPLYING THE RATTLE GUN IN ORDER TO REMOVE?
2. DO I NEED TO GO THROUGH ALL THE TDC PROCEDURE - or could I just fix the cam wheels to each other to freeze them up prior to belt removal ?

Any suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Ric T
ALFA 166 3.0 V6 2001
ALFA 156 2.0 TS Manual wagon 2001
ALFA 156 2.0 TS Manual sedan 2002
ALFA 147 2.0 TS Manual 5 door hatch 2003

"My thirst for learning is only transcended by the joy of sharing the knowledge"

bonno

Hi Ric
Find attached a link to Alfa Romeo workshop site that provides “How to Guide” on replacement of cam belt on v6 quad cam. PS Refer to their intro statement on carrying out this work.
If you decide to undertake this work, I would also set the engine marks at TDC and mark cam belt positions relative to a datumn for cam belt sprokets and crankshaft pulley to verify correct positioning on reinstallation. The use of a rattle gun to remove crankshaft pulley is typical workshop practice, with the correct torque setting being the key.
https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_v6_cam_belt.shtml

Diamond Ric T

Thank you very much Bonno. I appreciate your assistance tremendously.
ALFA 166 3.0 V6 2001
ALFA 156 2.0 TS Manual wagon 2001
ALFA 156 2.0 TS Manual sedan 2002
ALFA 147 2.0 TS Manual 5 door hatch 2003

"My thirst for learning is only transcended by the joy of sharing the knowledge"