Author Topic: Steering rack boot replacement  (Read 722 times)

martym00se72

• AROCA Member #: 1152 (SA)
Steering rack boot replacement
« on: December 14, 2017, 03:22:22 PM »
Hi Folks,
I have just discovered that the steering rack has played tug-o-war with the boot and it has come apart. Everyone has 20/20 hind sight and mine tells me I should have replaced the boot whilst I had the engine our a few (actually it was about 5 - time flies) years ago.

Given that I did not do that, I have a few questions where do I best source a replacement? Are there any aftermarket non-OEM parts that fit and cost less $$ and/or are more available? Any PITA things I need to be aware of when doing this (yay Chrissy break!) job or tips on making it easier? Any other RnR I should do whilst I am at it?
Thanks
Marty
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

bonno

• AROCA Member #: 8683
Re: Steering rack boot replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 06:09:56 PM »
Hi Marty
Find attached a link to SKF youtube video on how to replace rubber boot on steering rack, which is generic but same principles and practices apply. Your local parts store should be able to supply aftermarket boot to suit (SKF). Additionally the metal band tools used to secure band on either end of boot can be substituted using plastic cable ties.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2do8DdgrGw

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 06:17:11 PM by bonno »
now
83 Alfetta GTV
05 156 JTS manual
past
00 156 selespeed
72 1750 GTV

sportiva

• ooVoo
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 04:58:07 PM »
The tie rod in the SKF video is close to worn out. A good tie rod should be able to hold it's own weight and not flop down when released. To test a tie rod clean as much grease out of the ball section as possible then grab hold of the threaded section and push and pull it in and out while checking for any movement of the ball in the socket. If there is movement you should replace them. The inner tie rod of GTV's is the same as early Camry's and Supra's and are cheap and easy to find locally the generic part number is RE879. Multi fit steering rack boots are available from most parts stores.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:06:31 PM by sportiva »
3.0 GTV6 156JTS X2

75 2.5
2.0 Alfetta Sportiva #22
1.8 Alfetta
1.2 alfasud
2 75 parted out
15 alfettas parted
10 gtv parted
5 alfasuds parted

Car forums usually have more philosophers than practitioners

martym00se72

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 06:00:24 PM »
Any tips on removing the inner tie rod end? how much brute force should it need? And why does the CarDisc manual not have anythng about the ITRE or the steering damper (which has been removed by PO but bracket remains)??

Also, any generic part number for the ITRE boot? Repco and Bursons came up short - the hole for the tie rod is too large - I bought a set anyway but if I can get a proper fit I will return the ones I got to Bursons.

sportiva

• ooVoo
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 10:19:37 PM »
Hi Marty
I use a modified 32mm open end spanner.  edit: [ the correct spanner size is 30mm] There are flats on either side of the tie rods the flats are thinner than the spanner so the spanner needs to be thinned down to fit, or you can purchase tools specifically for removing inner tie rods. After cleaning away all the grease and folding back the locking tab use the tool of your choice, a certain amount of force will be needed to release the inner tie rod this depends on the amount of effort that was used to tighten the tie rods last time they were worked on or replaced. If you are only replacing the boots there is no need to undo the inner tie rod. The original boots have a larger outer hole and that fits over a rubber that slides on and over the threaded section of the inner tie rod then the boot fits over the rubber and a cable tie or steel band is used to tighten the boot against the rubber often the boots have been changed for a generic boots that fits directly against the shaft section of the inner tie rod. the Avanti image shows this rubber they can be made out of an old shock rubber with a recess cut into it for the cable tie to tighten against
If you want a more detail on removing the inner or outer tie rods just asked.

Cheers Glen
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 06:58:36 PM by sportiva »
3.0 GTV6 156JTS X2

75 2.5
2.0 Alfetta Sportiva #22
1.8 Alfetta
1.2 alfasud
2 75 parted out
15 alfettas parted
10 gtv parted
5 alfasuds parted

martym00se72

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 05:32:19 PM »
Reckon I am going to have to take off the ITRE as the rack boot is busted up and I can't get the replacement over the damper bracket etc. Off to Repco to get a 32mm spanner by the looks :) I tried making a tool using a U bolt around the ball joint like the tool you posted a pic of but I started stripping the threads on the nuts when doing it up.

On another note - I saw a post on the American BB site recently (where a pic of the same ITRE tool came up BTW) - do I need to secure the rack at all when applying significant force to the ITRE to undo it? I note I already have maybe 5mm rotation on the rack if I  wiggle the damper bracket. I can jam a spanner in there to remove that movement when applying force but am wondering if I should be concerned by the movement at all...?

Don't think I will be getting under the car tomorrow - 41 here so 50+ in the shed...

sportiva

• ooVoo
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 06:53:00 PM »
I HAVE MADE AN ERROR !!!!!!!!!You will need a 30mm spanner not a 32 and depending on the brand of ITRE
You might NOT need to modify the 30mm spanner for it to do the job if the flats are thick rather than thin the photo's explains it all
A small amount of rack movement wont hurt, lock it if think the rack is twisting too much
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:36:10 PM by sportiva »
3.0 GTV6 156JTS X2

75 2.5
2.0 Alfetta Sportiva #22
1.8 Alfetta
1.2 alfasud
2 75 parted out
15 alfettas parted
10 gtv parted
5 alfasuds parted

martym00se72

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 02:20:25 PM »
Stress less Glen!
Given I had to buy a $50 spanner for the job I was always going to get my micrometer onto the ITRE to double check the size. As it turns out, it was 32mm. Took ages to grind down the spanner to fit but once done, was easy to remove (had been spraying penetrant on it every day). Have swapped over the rack boot today for a longer one and now just need to fit it and work out what I am going to do for the ITRE boot...
Cheers
Marty