Steering rack boot replacement

Started by martym00se72, December 14, 2017, 03:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martym00se72

Hi Folks,
I have just discovered that the steering rack has played tug-o-war with the boot and it has come apart. Everyone has 20/20 hind sight and mine tells me I should have replaced the boot whilst I had the engine our a few (actually it was about 5 - time flies) years ago.

Given that I did not do that, I have a few questions – where do I best source a replacement? Are there any aftermarket non-OEM parts that fit and cost less $$ and/or are more available? Any PITA things I need to be aware of when doing this (yay Chrissy break!) job or tips on making it easier? Any other RnR I should do whilst I am at it?
Thanks
Marty
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

bonno

Hi Marty
Find attached a link to SKF youtube video on how to replace rubber boot on steering rack, which is generic but same principles and practices apply. Your local parts store should be able to supply aftermarket boot to suit (SKF). Additionally the metal band tools used to secure band on either end of boot can be substituted using plastic cable ties.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2do8DdgrGw

martym00se72

Any tips on removing the inner tie rod end? how much brute force should it need? And why does the CarDisc manual not have anythng about the ITRE or the steering damper (which has been removed by PO but bracket remains)??

Also, any generic part number for the ITRE boot? Repco and Bursons came up short - the hole for the tie rod is too large - I bought a set anyway but if I can get a proper fit I will return the ones I got to Bursons.

martym00se72

Reckon I am going to have to take off the ITRE as the rack boot is busted up and I can't get the replacement over the damper bracket etc. Off to Repco to get a 32mm spanner by the looks :) I tried making a tool using a U bolt around the ball joint like the tool you posted a pic of but I started stripping the threads on the nuts when doing it up.

On another note - I saw a post on the American BB site recently (where a pic of the same ITRE tool came up BTW) - do I need to secure the rack at all when applying significant force to the ITRE to undo it? I note I already have maybe 5mm rotation on the rack if I  wiggle the damper bracket. I can jam a spanner in there to remove that movement when applying force but am wondering if I should be concerned by the movement at all...?

Don't think I will be getting under the car tomorrow - 41 here so 50+ in the shed...

martym00se72

Stress less Glen!
Given I had to buy a $50 spanner for the job I was always going to get my micrometer onto the ITRE to double check the size. As it turns out, it was 32mm. Took ages to grind down the spanner to fit but once done, was easy to remove (had been spraying penetrant on it every day). Have swapped over the rack boot today for a longer one and now just need to fit it and work out what I am going to do for the ITRE boot...
Cheers
Marty