RTA NSW and cages

Started by k76, September 09, 2008, 11:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

k76

As I've mentioned here before I bought a 77' alfetta gtv recently. I plan to use it both on the road for some weekend fun and use it for super sprints. I'd really like to have a cage in it for track use, but I understand that RTA NSW seems to be of the idea that cages and 4/6 point belts are dangerous!
Has anyone got any pointers to what the deal is? I spoke to Bond and they basically said I'm on my own if I decide to use their cage in a road car. I guess I could go with a half cage, but I would prefer to have the real deal.

Kris
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

Paul Newby

Kris,

It appears that RTA are ok with bolt-in half roll cages for road cars. But this won't wash with CAMS if you intend to get the car logged in the future.

My understanding is RTA only accept full cages in road registered cars that are used for rallying (gravel and not tarmac) and you need an engineers certificate and a blue slip because it becomes a two seater and not a four seater.

Don't put a cage into the car if you need a blue slip (if it is unregistered get the blue slip first.) Then you need to find a mechanic who will give you a pink slip with the cage in, but it is likely he will say - "I didn't see the cage. You put this in after I gave the pink slip..."

As an aside I would keep the normal seat belts in and use these on the road and not your harness.

Most of us are running our cars on historic plates and just taking the chance. Remember the RTA Inspection vehicles on the road are looking for trucks and not loud psuedo race cars driven discretely on the street.

As Bonds says; "you are on your own."
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

k76

Thanks Paul, that was kind of what I thought. I need a blue slip so I will get that first. I've got some work on my hands first though...

But: Do I need a weld in cage if it is to be CAMS logbooked? Not sure if I ever need it, but I do keep group Sc in mind just in case I get bitten by the bug
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

alfagtv58

Quote from: k76 on September 09, 2008, 01:33:55 PM
But: Do I need a weld in cage if it is to be CAMS logbooked?
Pretty sure it needs to be a weld in job to obtain a logbook these days.

Quote from: k76 on September 09, 2008, 01:33:55 PM
but I do keep group Sc in mind just in case I get bitten by the bug
It is inevitable.....resistance is futile  ;D
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Scott Farquharson

Just to clear things up from a CAMS point of view.

Currently (till end of 2008) bolt in cages in line with Schedule J of the CAMS manual are absolutely allowed and can be log booked.

CAMS have flagged that for 2009 safety cage regs will change to align with FIA standards which is Appendix J - Article 253.8 to the Intnl Sporting Code (this has been mooted now for about 3 or 4 years) which currently also allows bolting of the cage to the car.  In fact the FIA regs used to not allow welding and were only recently changed to say that the bolt-in specification was the minimum and welding was allowed. 

Can't see this changing for 2009.  However the minimum configuration for the cage is greater under FIA specs - ie 6 point, door bars, roof bars, double diagonal in the main hoop...etc

So in summary, if you intend to log book (for any Aust non-FIA category - so all categories bar V8 supercars and WRC) before dec 31 2008, then schedule j of the cams manual is fine, after that then it MAY be the FIA standard.  Both at the moment allow bolt in cages.

FYI
CAMS Schedule J - http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/general/0611_Schedule_J_Q308.pdf
FIA Appendix J Article 253 Section 8 - http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/66D45AE395A627CEC1257474004C9884/$FILE/253_08-09.pdf
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

k76

Thanks Scott, very comprehensive answer!

Not sure yet if i can manage to get a cage logbooked in 2008 yet, to be honest I probably wont.

THE FIA spec really does go into a lot of details. There are some gussets required too if I read it correctly.

BTW, how ironic is it that the FIA website has a picture of a smiling Lewis Hamilton!!!
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

Aussie Muscle

Quote from: k76 on September 09, 2008, 11:12:00 AM
that cages and 4/6 point belts are dangerous!
that is the craziest thing i've ever heard!! given how many race drivers survive extreme crashes, i'd say the opposite is true, but try and convince a stupid govt dept like the RTA. i've always considered them a bunch of morons, this only reinforces it.  ::)