Alfa 33 (905) wider rim options

Started by Bigbooty, November 27, 2017, 05:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbooty

What is the widest rims that will fit under the guards of the 33?  Currently have 185/65 on 5.5 x 14 factory mags, offset 39mm.  Is it possible to go to 195/40 on 17 x 7.  I can order custom order the offset to suit. 

amichie

Bigbooty

Cheers.  Would really like to know if a 17x7 will fit.

81sprint

It might fit, but don't do it. 15x7 is the ideal size with a 195/50/15 or 205/50/15.

If you put 17s on it it will be on the verge of undriveable.

Bigbooty

Is that because the ride will be too harsh?  This is a long term project car, so it will be a while before it hits the road.  Its very straight for its age but needs TLC.

81sprint

You need to take into account the weight of the wheel, overall diameter, clearance issues and the fact that the rubber band tyres required wont help things.
A friend has 16/7/205s and although not bad he has since fitted 15x7s and said that he'd never put 16s on a 33 again as the 15s were overall much better.

Sportscar Nut

Agree with 81 Sprint about 17 inch rims and suggest you leave the standard rims and tyres on your 33.

Any increase in rolling diameter will slow the car and whilst larger tyres provide more grip, the overall nimbleness and handling - particularly in the wet - will be lost (which is the joy of driving a Boxer Alfa).

Have tried/ driven many different sizes tyres on Suds/ 33s and funnily enough, reckon the Alfa engineers got it right with 185/60 14's. Just my two cents worth.

81sprint

Problem with 14" rims is tyre selection isn't great. A 195/50/15 is very close to the same rolling diameter and you have a much improved range of tyres to choose from.
A nice light set of 15's with a 50 profile tyre is the way to go IMO.

Bigbooty

Ricky Ricardo

Few months late, haven't been on for a while. 
I'm running 205/40 17. It does tram track a little, probably a little harsher but not bad or annoying for me.