105 Door and Bonnet Frames

Started by pixho, November 27, 2017, 04:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixho

Hi all,

I am looking for a pair of Door frames and a bonnet frame as part of restoration I am undertaking on a 1976 105 GTV (Auto).

Trying to see ifs its more viable to find a good paid of doors and bonnet instead of trying to repair the current set.

When I say frames, I mean I already have new door skins ready to go.

I have tried the overseas crews (eg; Alphaholics & Classic Alfa) and they don't have anything available at the moment except skins.

Cheers,

Eric

Balfa

I can only speak from my own experience Pixho. I had the same problem where it was a decision between the cost/effort of fixing my original doors or paying for some good quality second hand ones.

In the end I opted to fix my existing doors as it was economical to do so. Some people on here would be able to suggest some people/businesses who might be worthwhile chasing up as they might be holding onto some old doors. Having said that once you factor what they want for them and what work you still have to do on them...doesn't hurt to ask anyway.

Lastly, I have just ordered a fibreglass bonnet from CA, which could be an option for you.

Balfa

I might to add that I bought new door skins and repaired the old door frames. Wasn't as bad as I thought in the end.

17fitty

I have a good bonnet I may part with-shoot me a pm or call 0421483055

Colin Byrne

Hi Eric, just be aware when swapping doors there are a few different types, they look similar but when you go and start fitting the door hardware you can run in to problems with the window winder mechanism and the door guides. The other issue is getting a good fit, my advice after going through this a few times is if you have the original doors try as hard as you can to save them. Whilst the outer skin is a pain to try and fix, so a new skin is definitely a good option, the frames themselves are reasonably tough and not too bad to fix as welding and grinding dosn't warp them much. Maybe chuck a few pics up so everyone can see how bad they are?
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

pixho

Hi All,

Sorry for the tardy replies, i didnt realise I had replies, as I was expecting an email notification from the forum! oops.

see attached image of one of the doors, both are in the same condition. What do you think about the condition, worth looking for replacements, or sticking it out to try repair?

Cheers,

Eric

Citroƫnbender

Assuming all corrosion is pictured...

Those are "bread and butter" repairs for a proper restoration panel shop.  Were they mine, I'd not feel violated paying $150-$180 for a media strip, and up to $600 for repairs in wash (etch) primer, per door.  They are honest parts by the picture - not a collection of buried horrors.  If you could land perfectly sound door shells out of a scrapyard in the dry US states for less than $600 apiece, then you'd replace - else it's the devil you know (which offers some provenance, though). 

Colin Byrne

agree, hinge area looks really good, that's great news.  And you'll be hard pressed to fine a set of un-repaired doors with less rust than that at the bottom where the water pools. 
When i was building the rally car i got found another door for the car, it looked great and i was assured it was in great nic, unfortunately after i got it blasted i discovered it was in worse condition (including bodgy repairs) than the ones I had, so i second the "better the devil you know" comment
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

Balfa

I concur but having said that if you do end up getting other doors please don't throw these out.

I'm not saying they are worth a lot of money in their condition but someone might want to invest the money/time in them to repair them. i.e. let me know as I need to welding practise :)