939 2.2 JTS: MES says - B1001 - engine oil level sensor

Started by ACE, November 04, 2017, 10:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACE

The oil temperature gauge in the cabin does not budge off cold with "normal" driving
(Just commutin', not drivin' it like it woz stole!)

MES doesn't seem to have an issue with the oil temp but is complaining about the oil level sensor!

Q: are the senders (oil temp & oil level) combined or co-located?

JimB

Hi All, not sure if my experience is relevant, however here it is. It relates to the engine oil level sensor mounted through the sump. The condition encountered was that the oil level gauge was showing, erroneously, low oil levels on start up. The remedy seemed to be to r/r the sump and replace the sensor. Typically an outrageously expensive part. Close inspection revealed the problem was that the sensor was wet due to a very slight oil leak through the sensor fitting. The fix was to wash clean the sensor and monitor the leak. So far, so good.Jim   

ACE

Jim, thanks.

My experience to date is little different.
The sensor poking out of the front of the sump was saturated with oil - I feared a major leak! However a liberal cleaning with degreaser and a bit of time elapsed since, indicates there is only a very minor weep. I also washed the sensor terminals with electrical contact cleaner.
Unfortunately, none of this had any effect on the temperature gauge operation.

However, if this is the oil level sensor, maybe the temp sensor is located separately elsewhere?

PS I can confirm that the replacement cost of the sensor in the sump (and the work involved in replacing it) is very discouraging.

bazzbazz

Do what I suggest to most owners with an oil temp gauge that's not playing properly, replace it with a clock . . . that'll reach it a lesson!

;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au